maxumcruiser

Default towing question

I have a 2000 expedition with the 4.6 V8. I use this to tow a 21ft
Maxum which weights about 5k lbs. Do you guys think this is a safe rig.
And is there anything I can do to improve my expedition's towing
capacity. Thank you

William Andersen

I don't know what the specs are, you can probably find them in your owners
manual.
If the frame/hitch can handle the weight, the next concerns are the
transmission and the brakes. If you have a tow package, you probably have a
transmission cooler, so that should be OK, as long as you're not very
overweight. That's a heavy load and I don't know if the brakes are included
in a tow package. I'd drive carefully, and avoid having to brake hard.
"maxumcruiser" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 2000 expedition with the 4.6 V8. I use this to tow a 21ft
Maxum which weights about 5k lbs. Do you guys think this is a safe rig.
And is there anything I can do to improve my expedition's towing
capacity. Thank you

Calif Bill

On 21 Jan 2006 22:50:11 -0800, "maxumcruiser"
wrote:

I have a 2000 expedition with the 4.6 V8. I use this to tow a 21ft
Maxum which weights about 5k lbs. Do you guys think this is a safe rig.
And is there anything I can do to improve my expedition's towing
capacity. Thank you

depends on a number of issues - first and foremost, does the tow
vehicle have a tow package and secondly, does the trailer have dual
wheels and brakes?

if so, you should be fine.

I towed with a 99 4x4 5.4L Expedition. 4400# with the boat fueled. It
towed OK. The brakes stop the rig, my trailer does have brakes. Go to disk
brakes on the trailer and you will stop much better. Be prepared to spend
lots on gas. The 5.4L likes gas even when not towing, so I got about 11 on
a good day and lots of flat land towing. I do not think I would want to tow
much more than 5K with the rig, as the motor just does not have the torque.

Dan Krueger

maxumcruiser wrote:

I have a 2000 expedition with the 4.6 V8. I use this to tow a 21ft
Maxum which weights about 5k lbs. Do you guys think this is a safe rig.
And is there anything I can do to improve my expedition's towing
capacity. Thank you

Here is the maximum with a towing package installed:

2000 Ford Truck Expedition 4x2 4.6 V-8 5900
Requires Trailer Towing Package.
Requires weight-distributing hitch.
Requires 16-inch tires.
Requires 3.31:1 axle ratio.

Year Make Model Engine Tow Limit
2000 Ford Truck Expedition 4x4 4.6 V-8 6000
Requires Trailer Towing Package.
Requires 3.55:1 axle ratio.
Requires weight-distributing hitch.
Requires 16-inch tires.

Source:
http://tinyurl.com/apdk7

Dan

maxumcruiser

My trailer is a dual axel trailer but does not have breaks. The
Expedition doesnt have a towing package. I usually have no problems
towing in the city but have not used it for towing in long trips. Can I
add after market parts to make the Expedition a better tow vehicle.

Calif Bill

"maxumcruiser" wrote in message
ups.com...
My trailer is a dual axel trailer but does not have breaks. The
Expedition doesnt have a towing package. I usually have no problems
towing in the city but have not used it for towing in long trips. Can I
add after market parts to make the Expedition a better tow vehicle.

About the only thing on the Exp is a tranny cooler. Most states require
brakes on a 4500# boat trailer. Look at www.championtrailers.com in
slidell, LA. Good people, fast shipping, and reasonable.

maxumcruiser

Thanks for the Info

Dan Krueger

maxumcruiser wrote:

My trailer is a dual axel trailer but does not have breaks. The
Expedition doesnt have a towing package. I usually have no problems
towing in the city but have not used it for towing in long trips. Can I
add after market parts to make the Expedition a better tow vehicle.

Breaks in any trailer would be a disaster with, or without, an "axel"!

Dan