Larry

Default Block Island RI - OLD Harbor

"Armond Perretta" wrote in
:

OTOH, the average boat anchored in Old Harbor (as opposed to using the
facilities) often belongs in the "floating trailed park" category.

Now, now, those aren't hulks....They're "vintage sailing vessels in need of
restoration". They're just waiting their turn at the shipyards...(c;

Default Harbormaster applies for private mooring field outside Old Harbor

Harbormaster applies for private mooring field outside Old Harbor
But he says applications have already been put 'on hold'
By Peter Voskamp

Harbormaster Chris Willi's name appears on an application to the
Department of Environmental Management, seeking a water quality
certificate for a proposed 4.59-acre mooring field - roughly the same
size as Champlin's Marina expansion proposal, which Willi testified
against - just northwest of the entrance to Old Harbor.

But Willi said Wednesday that the project is on hold. "We're not
sure we really want to do it," he said.

The company, "Block Island Mooring Services," which, according to
the application, includes Tony Edwards, a member and the former chair
of the Harbors Committee, is seeking to install "50-60 rental
moorings outside West Breakwater at Old Harbor, Block Island."

An accompanying letter says that the "project proposed is in type 4
waters and... is in an area classification of 'permanent closure -
polluted.'"

The letter goes on to describe a mooring field set up in a
75-by-75-foot grid pattern, to service vessels of less than 50 feet.

It ends, "Block Island Mooring Services intends to charge a fee
similar to the Town of New Shoreham's fee structure in New Harbor as
well as offer launch service. Anchorage would not be permitted in the
mooring field. Operational months would be May to October."

The date on the application is Jan. 20.

The timing of the application is sure to raise some eyebrows.

In the last month Willi, in his public role as Block Island's
harbormaster, has made the rounds to various island boards and
organizations presenting his vision for a vast renovation of Old
Harbor, which includes eliminating some mooring and free anchorage in
the outer basin of Old Harbor.

It was this aspect of the plan that has raised the most outcry,
especially from boaters on the mainland.

Reached in Florida on Wednesday, Willi said he has contacted the DEM
twice asking them not to process the private mooring field application.

The project is "on hold," said Willi. He said his "intentions are
not devious," and that he doesn't want see the Old Harbor plan,
most of which has been met with enthusiasm, compromised in any way.

He added that in his opinion, the application is incomplete, and that
the number of proposed moorings may change.

Willi acknowledged that some may see a conflict of interest in his
application, but insisted that it was an idea he and his partner had
long before he became the harbormaster. Also, he said that as
harbormaster he does not make the final decision on any of these
matters: the Town Council, the Harbors Committee and state agencies
will make the ultimate decisions.

What's more, he said, he's already altered the original Old Harbor
plan to reflect the concerns many boaters had about eliminating the
free anchorage; the newer version restores the free anchorage.

Willi and Edwards also filed an application with the US Army Corps of
Engineers. Mike Elliot of the Army Corps said that Willi had asked in
late January that that application also be "put on hold." Currently
it's "a closed file," said Elliot.

This new "harbor management plan" would change the unique character
of Old Harbor forever. It will remove free public access to open space,
and "overdevelops" an area used by thousands of people each summer,
putting it out of reach for most average boaters. This loss to the
boating community will forever change people's ability to simply head
out to Old Harbor for the weekend, both financially, and from a
convenience point of view. This means making expensive reservations
well in advance of a trip (keeping in mind variability of our weather).
No more rafting directly up to a group of friends' boats. Please stop
Block Island from slowly being transformed into a place where only the
rich are welcome, and turning it into a private island. These are my
points:

a) The unique charm and character of Old Harbor should be preserved,
just like a historic building or open meadow. It is a valuable asset to
Block Island, and one that adds a nautical ambiance for the tourists
arriving by ferry. It would be missed by everyone that visits the
island for generations to come.

b) It would permanently remove free public anchorage, and put this
resource under governmental management.

c) Anchoring boaters in Old Harbor do in fact contribute money to the
island's businesses and restaurants.

d) The activities of anchored/rafted boaters in Old Harbor do not
warrant the need for special safety concerns of Block Island's police
or harbor patrol any more than anywhere else on the island.

e) The price of fuel has risen dramatically, and charging $4/ft/night
slip fees for a relatively small number of slip spaces will put a trip
to Old Harbor out of reach for most average boaters and their families.

f) Old Harbor is a "Harbor of Refuge," offering safe, convenient
protection from rapidly changing weather conditions for the many
boaters that fish and cruise the area.

g) Only a very small number of boaters in Old Harbor cause
disturbances. The vast majority of boaters are peaceful, family
oriented, non-disruptive tourists. The perceived problem of boaters
causing disruptions could be solved by simply issuing citations to the
few troublemakers.

h) This expensive project will burden taxpayers with a marina that will
realistically not be able to support itself based on the preliminary
figures Harbormaster Chris Willi has presented.

Steve Felter

Uncasville, Conn.

I understand that the Block Island Harbormaster and the Harbors
Committee are creating a proposal to make sweeping changes to Block
Island's Old Harbor.

These changes will affect everyone that enters the harbor by private
boat and I believe they will not be good for the island nor its
visitors.

Here is a list of what I believe are in the plans:

1. Complete elimination of all anchoring in Old Harbor - including
the "outer basin"

2.Installation of docks that extend nearly the full length of both
jetties; proposed slip fees: $4.00/ft/night, total number of new slips:
60-70

3. Restrictions on rafting of boats to a two boat maximum

4. Probable changes to existing moorings

5.Rebuilding of the docks in the "inner basin," reducing rafting
even in the inner basin, to possibly as few as two boats.

I want to go on record saying that in my opinion most of these
proposals are a very bad idea both for the public as well as the
island. These proposals would change the unique character of Old Harbor
forever. And not for the good of the island either. It would remove
free public access and overdevelops an area used by tourists each
summer.

This would also keep boaters from being able to use the harbor as a
free "safe haven" in a storm as it was originally and historically
intended to be used.

This plan will not help your tourism - it will hurt it.

I plan on sending this letter to everyone I know who is involved in
boating in Rhode Island. I will also publicize this outrageous and near
sighted plan at local salt water fishing clubs meetings, fishing &
boating magazines, boat shows and fishing shows that are to be held in
the Rhode Island area such as the Providence Convention center.

I am sure very few who will hear about these plans will react favorably
to them. I hope you all will come to your senses and cancel these plans
so we can all continue to visit your beautiful island as we always
have.

Maury LaPrade

Point Judith

Roger Long

This virtually unstoppable tide of greed and stupidity is rolling up
our coast both on land and sea. There's a reason why I have
Newfoundland on my mind as I work on upgrading my boat for big trips
in a few years.

BTW, I'm a harbormaster too.

--

Roger Long

Huntington Harbor Bryan General 1 December 31st 05 06:24 AM
where to get a 351 HO long block richard Cruising 0 December 23rd 05 03:07 AM
Links to info about the role of the USCG at Pearl Harbor [email protected] General 0 December 7th 05 09:45 PM
Cracked block from overheating - help JR North General 1 November 17th 05 10:27 PM
Cracked block from overheating - help JIMinFL General 1 November 17th 05 03:39 PM