JR North

Default Cracked block from overheating - help

Let's see...it was 'running fine' for a half hour with the temp guage
not even registering.....
I don't know about you, but I would certainly not be motoring around in
a boat that just had the water pump replaced if the temp guage wasn't
working.
Then...'it shot up to 240° and blew up'.
HMMMM, I just don't buy it. Sounds like a troll.
JR

Fred Dehl wrote:
Got a Monterey 27' with a 7.4L Mercruiser. Raw water cooled. Couple of
weeks ago I had the fuel pump and water pump replaced. Second time
running it out after that repair, it was running just fine for a half hour
at cruising speed and then almost instantly it overheated (from not even
registering on the temp gauge to 240 degrees) and shut down. A little bit
of smoke from underneath the flame arrestor. Oil was full, and not milky.

Got a tow back to the marina and their shop (who I've been using for
maintenance & repairs) tell me the block's cracked.

Everyone talks about blocks cracking from freezing, but here it is running
fine and then - bam, hot and dead.

What are the most common causes of cracked blocks, and might the shop have
screwed something up on the water pump job?

tia

FD

P. Fritz

"JR North" wrote in message
Let's see...it was 'running fine' for a half hour with the temp guage
not even registering.....
I don't know about you, but I would certainly not be motoring around in
a boat that just had the water pump replaced if the temp guage wasn't
working.
Then...'it shot up to 240° and blew up'.
HMMMM, I just don't buy it. Sounds like a troll.

Or an idiot.........especially after a repair, the temp not registering
for even a few minutes would be cause for alarm.

JR