Bill Kearney

Default How to get experience so that I can escape?

Also, complicating matters, I will more than likely be bringing my
girlfriend along, who also has no experience sailing.

And be sure you're prepared to end up spending ALL your time together. Be
sure there's enough airfare handy to put her back on a plane home WHEN she
gets sick of the idea.

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"cruisenews" wrote:

Get a +/- 30 foot boat that was well taken care of by the previous
owner and is set up for cruising. There are usually a couple of these
for sale in most harbors. Choose an area that is easy to cruise in and
has lots of nice anchorages and port towns, say, Chesapeake Bay, the
Carolinas or coastal New England. Don't make any big hops, just sail
from harbor to harbor during the day. Try to anchor out as much as
possible and use the dinghy. Stay in the harbor if the weather is bad,
in fact, just have fun and hang around in the harbors and wait till the
time is just right to sail on to the next. When you meet other sailors,
always take the opportunity to sail with them and see how they have
their boat set up.

Do this for at least 2 months before you buy a bigger boat. It may be
a little like camping at first, but you will learn a lot, quickly and
any beginner mistakes will be made with a low cost boat.

You can also learn a lot from sailing logs, he

http://cruisenews.net/voyagelogs.html

http://cruisenews.net/shipsatsea.html

Dang! Almost exactly what I was going to say!

"No one" wants 30' boats, so there are many for sail, for cheap. I have
seen quite a few for under $15k; I helped survey one I'd take to the
Bahamas in a second that sold for $3,500. That'll leave a LOT of bucks
in the cruising kitty even after you've replaced or upgraded
everything. Nice thing about a small boat is you can't go TOO crazy as
you don't have the room.

The Chesapeake would be an excellent starting point: Lots of easy legs
for you to get experience, a few that'll give you proper respect for
Momma, an easy shake-down of both boat and crew, with a multitude of
repair shops -- you will have things to repair/replace, part of the
drill, so get used to it while you can call TowBoat/US.

After a while, you'll find yourself drifting south most likely. The ICW
(intra-coastal waterway) is a scenic, easy route to FL for a jump to
the Bahamas, where you've got another 3-6 months of slightly more
challenging conditions than the Chesapeake. By that time, you'll know
enough to decide your next step(s) intelligently.

Friend of mine did just that, with far less nest-egg. Was the trip of
his life --and he'd done a couple of years' beachcombing in Tahiti, for
an instance. (Unluckily, he died soon after he'd returned to fatten the
cruising kitty.)

JUST DON'T RUSH! Stop and get to know the locals, explore the gunkholes
and enjoy life. If it ain't fun --for both of you-- you're doing
something wrong.

--
Jere Lull
rhys

On 25 Jan 2006 01:57:45 -0800, "purple_stars"
wrote:

haha thanks rhys

hey, i was wondering something too ... could you recommend some good
books to read ? you mentioned some magazines in your post that you
like but i'd like some books, i'm betting you know practical no
non-sense stuff i'd like. so far i've liked "how to sail around the
world" by hal roth, i've read that one a lot. and also the book, well,
i can't remember the title now, but it was by tania aebi, a young lady
who sailed around the world, that book was awesome. actually it was so
good i'm going to get the title in case someone else wants to read it.
ok, it was "maiden voyage". i've read some other ones but those really
stand out as ones i loved. know of any others ? anybody else know any
other good ones ?

thanks in advance.

I like the older cruiser books and guides, because they did it without
GPS, refrigeration, current charts or even Dacron sails in some cases.
Consequently, you learn how to run the boat with your eyes,
ears,pencils bits of string and well-applied muscle, instead of
chartplotters, power winches and SeaTow.

Check out old hardcovers by the Smeetons, by Eric Hiscock and if you
like philosophy, The Long Way by Moitessier.

There's a ton of "guides" out there. The Complete Yachtmaster by Tom
Cunliffe is good. The Annapolis Guide to Seamanship by John Rosmaniere
is standard, if basic, and Heavy Weather Sailing (the current edition)
is essential for going offshore. If you like technical, "Desirable and
Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts" is great, and if you
like chatty but practical, the Pardeys and Don Street's Caribbean
guides plus The Ocean Going Yacht are good.

For recreation, you'll want all 20 of the Aubrey-Maturin books by
Patrick O'Brian.

That's a start.

R.
andrew m. boardman

rhys wrote:
I like the older cruiser books and guides, because they did it without
GPS, refrigeration, current charts or even Dacron sails in some cases.

The best in this vein (in my opinion, which is surely different from
everyone else's) is 'Yacht Cruising' by Claude Worth. The technology is
early 20th century, the culture described at times is charmingly
different, but the essentials of seamanship are unchanging.

I believe the later editions added material up through 1934, but I'm not
sure of that part. The local libraries have a smattering of the earlier ones.