Skip Gundlach

Default Marathon marinas with haulouts?

Followup to "Marathon Local Knowledge":

What marinas there have haul-out facilities? We'd actually not haul out,
but that ability is one of the main qualifiers for a tax-sheltered layover,
and we'd be in water storage, so that we could leave on a moment's notice.

Thanks for any direction and experience...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, preparing to cut the cord

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

Rosalie B.

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at gmail dotcom wrote:

Followup to "Marathon Local Knowledge":

What marinas there have haul-out facilities? We'd actually not haul out,
but that ability is one of the main qualifiers for a tax-sheltered layover,
and we'd be in water storage, so that we could leave on a moment's notice.

Thanks for any direction and experience...

Marathon Marina and Boatyard does haul-outs as long as your draft is
less than about 8 feet because they have a rock in the middle of the
channel to the haul slip which is a problem even at high tide when
there is a full moon for someone with an 8 foot draft. They are nice
people but the owner has a very predatory attitude toward money. He
wants as much of yours as he can get away with and he will not tell
you all the charges up front. The marina is the first one in the
channel to Boot Key Harbor before you go through the bridge.

The bridge to Boot Key is a draw bridge which will open on demand
during the day as long as you can clear the overhead power lines
inside the bridge (I don't remember the height offhand.) Inside the
bridge there is Marathon Boatyard which I think also has haul capacity
- at least there are boats out of the water there. They are right
next to the marine store.

grandma Rosalie
chuck

Skip, We and many, many other folks can relate horror stories about
Marathon Marina which we beleive has now changed their name. Marathon
Boatyard is a good alternative but get all quotes in writing. Keys Boat
Works in on the Bay side and can also haul boats but deep drafts might
be restricted.

Rosalie B.

"chuck" wrote:

Skip, We and many, many other folks can relate horror stories about
Marathon Marina which we beleive has now changed their name. Marathon
Boatyard is a good alternative but get all quotes in writing. Keys Boat
Works in on the Bay side and can also haul boats but deep drafts might
be restricted.

Oh - right I forgot about Keys Boat Works. That would be the best
place if you can get in. I know friends that are there with a boat
like ours and their boat has a draft of 6'6".
http://keysboatworks.com/
( With a 15 ton and a 50 ton travelift we can haul boats between 20'
to 67' in length and 19' in width)

Marathon Marina is also known as Marathon City Marina. It is in Boot
Key Harbor and administers the moorings.
http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/index.asp?NID=26 As far as I know it has
no capacity to haul boats.

This is different from Marathon Marina and Boatyard (full service
boatyard, 50-ton travel lift)
http://www.cabotsonthewater.com/All%...es/marina.html

or Marathon Boatyard.. http://www.marathonboatyard.com/ (60 Ton
Travel Lift and 20,000 lb. Forklift)

Another list of boatyards in the keys

Upper Florida Keys
Coral Bay Marina, MM 81.2, Islamorada.....(305) 664-3111
Key Largo Harbor, 400 Ocean Dr, MM 99.9.....(305) 451-0045
Manatee Bay Marine, MM 112.5, Key Largo.....(305) 451-3332

Middle Florida Keys - Marathon
Driftwood Marina & Storage, MM54.....(305) 289-0432
Keys Boat Works, 700 39th St, Gulf.....(305) 743-5583
Marathon Boat Yard, 2059 O/S Hwy.....(305) 743-6341
Marathon Marina & Boat Yard, 1021 11th St, Ocean.....(305) 743-6575

Lower Florida Keys - Key West
1 Boat Yard, 6021 Peninsular Av, Stock Island.....(305) 294-3677
Peninsular Marine Enterprises, 6000 Peninsula Av.....(305) 296-8110
Robbie's Full Service Marina
Shrimp Rd, Stock Island.....(305) 294-1124
Spencer's Boatyard, 701 Palm Av.....(305) 296-8826

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

Marathon FL local knowledge sought Skip Gundlach Cruising 22 January 18th 06 10:27 PM
Marathon, Fl to the Exumas Wayne.B Cruising 25 November 25th 05 01:18 AM
Deep thoughts: More Marathon, but not about the crossing Skip Gundlach Cruising 3 November 22nd 05 06:52 AM
Virginia Marinas?? Rosalie B. Cruising 0 November 13th 05 04:18 AM
Marina's with Haul Out Capability Capri Cruising 1 October 14th 05 06:55 AM