Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Capri

Default Marina's with Haul Out Capability

Well they finally shut down Oretga Boat Yard in Jacksonville. A really
fine marina and probably one of the last places between Ft Pierce and
Chesapeake where they have the capability to haul out a 65' motor yach
or sailboat, Along with complete engine repair, fiberglass and painting
facilities. To be replaced with a Condominium. There was a good DIY
yard in Cocoa called Indian Cove. I used to have my sailboat hauled
there on the way south. Cost me $15/day on the hard while I cleaned her
up, repainted the bottom and did other work. Also replaced with a
condo. I don't know if there are anymore DIY yards left on the east
coast of Florida. Im not sure about anything north of Florida but
marinas are no longer being built in Florida. Many of them are either
being completely dismantled or turned into private marinas, Slip prices
are so far out of line and most marinas in North Fl now have a waiting
list for anything over 30'. Its a great time to be buying a boat here
as long as you either have a slip already lined up and can afford it or
are going to take it out of the state. I just sold my Westsail 32 after
20 years as I can no longer afford the cost to berth her anymore. Im
thinking of getting something I can keep on a trailer and in the yard
next to the house. It won't be quite the same but at least I won't be
worrying all the time. Just too darned many people I guess...But the
Ortega Boat Yard? It's been there since the 20's, Just hope its a not a
trend heading north.