Roger Long

Default Floating dinghy painters are available.

I checked out the floating dinghy painter someone mentioned at West
Marine. It looks like great stuff but currently only comes in
diameters suitable for towing maybe a 16 - 18 foot Whaler or similar
"dinghy". The clerk said New England ropes is thinking of producing
it in smaller sizes.

Help their "thinking" along by sending an inquiry or encouragement to:

--

Roger Long

Hans

Having backed over my painter more than once I'd be interested. I
couldn't find it at West marine or New England ropes- do you have a
URL?

Roger Long

The clerk says West Marine doesn't carry it officially but someone
thought it was such a good idea that they would risk the wrath of the
corporate bone heads (actually, he didn't put it quite that way).

New England Ropes doesn't have it on their web site either. It may be
a test product or left overs from a special order. I think they
should be encouraged to make it more widely available. Email them and
ask. If they get a lot of requests, maybe they'll produce it.

--

Roger Long

"Hans" wrote in message
ps.com...
Having backed over my painter more than once I'd be interested. I
couldn't find it at West marine or New England ropes- do you have a
URL?

Wayne.B

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:44:13 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Email them and
ask. If they get a lot of requests, maybe they'll produce it.

=================

I can just see the wheels turning at WM Corporate Legal, thinking
about what happens if the so called "Floating Dinghy Painter"
mysteriously gets wrapped around the prop, pulls the shaft out of the
boat, and creates a sinking sensation.

Whoops.

Roger Long

I was thinking later today that the legal department of both WM and NE
Ropes might be behind the poor availability of this product but for a
different reason.

In order to be less dense and float, the rope probably isn't as strong
for it's diameter as other yacht rope. If someone used if for rigging
and it broke, the fact that they should have read the label and
calculated accordingly would mean nothing in this incredibly stupid
society we live in.

--

Roger Long

Hans

Might as well flail this one to death as well.. I know polypropalene
floats but it doesn't have the spring of nylon. It also has this great
habit of breaking down in sunlight. Not the best choice for your
favourite dinghy. I was curious what the approach of this floating
painter might be. Now I guess the engineers and chemists can get in on
the beef with the lawyers and managers.

Hans

Roger Long

The thing I liked about the rope I saw is that it has an outer sheath
to make it pleasanter to handle and protect the poly from sunlight.
The lack of spring is another reason not to want to use such a large
diameter.

--

Roger Long

"Hans" wrote in message
ups.com...
Might as well flail this one to death as well.. I know
polypropalene
floats but it doesn't have the spring of nylon. It also has this
great
habit of breaking down in sunlight. Not the best choice for your
favourite dinghy. I was curious what the approach of this floating
painter might be. Now I guess the engineers and chemists can get in
on
the beef with the lawyers and managers.

Hans

Gary

Hans wrote:
Might as well flail this one to death as well.. I know polypropalene
floats but it doesn't have the spring of nylon. It also has this great
habit of breaking down in sunlight. Not the best choice for your
favourite dinghy. I was curious what the approach of this floating
painter might be. Now I guess the engineers and chemists can get in on
the beef with the lawyers and managers.

Hans

White water rescue and safety ropes float. They have nylon or spectra
cores and braided sheaths and work very well for dinghy painters and tow
ropes. They are also very cheap. They hold knots and look good.

Try:
http://www.lifesaving.com/shopsite_s...ml/page36.html

Gaz
Roger Long

Excellent! That's exactly the right stuff.

--

Roger Long

"Gary" wrote

White water rescue and safety ropes float. They have nylon or
spectra cores and braided sheaths and work very well for dinghy
painters and tow ropes. They are also very cheap. They hold knots
and look good.

Try:
http://www.lifesaving.com/shopsite_s...ml/page36.html

Gaz

DSK

Hans wrote:
Might as well flail this one to death as well.. I know polypropalene
floats but it doesn't have the spring of nylon.

True but if that's an issue, one can use a snubber.

... It also has this great
habit of breaking down in sunlight.

Actually, that's not true. There are a number of braided
polypro lines on the market now that are treated to resist
UV and last at least as well as other types.

Gary wrote:
White water rescue and safety ropes float.

You don't even have to look that far, go to the nearest
Laser regatta and check out the lines they're using nowadays.

... They have nylon or spectra
cores and braided sheaths and work very well for dinghy painters and tow
ropes. They are also very cheap. They hold knots and look good.

Try:
http://www.lifesaving.com/shopsite_s...ml/page36.html

Interesting, I've looked at a number of different types of
rope supply and tried mountaneering rope & industrial
rigging rope. Thanks for the link.

BTW you all should bear in mind that a floating dinghy
painter can still get pulled into the prop. I've had it
happen once or thrice and felt stupid every time. Wen the
boat is maneuvering, snug the dinghy up to the stern so the
painter isn't long enough to reach, and this also keeps the
dinghy from wandering aound free and wrapping around pilings.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Floating dinghy painter? Roger Long Cruising 15 January 13th 06 09:24 PM
Handheld aboard dinghy [email protected] Electronics 9 November 29th 05 09:01 PM
The Best Dinghy! Capt. Rob ASA 1 November 11th 05 02:49 AM
Watertender 8.8 dinghy for sale Steve Schwartz General 0 November 5th 05 08:53 PM
Stowing Dinghy on Pacific Seacraft 34 db9 Cruising 13 October 14th 05 06:18 PM