DSK

Default Floating dinghy painters are available.

Hans wrote:
Might as well flail this one to death as well.. I know polypropalene
floats but it doesn't have the spring of nylon.

True but if that's an issue, one can use a snubber.

... It also has this great
habit of breaking down in sunlight.

Actually, that's not true. There are a number of braided
polypro lines on the market now that are treated to resist
UV and last at least as well as other types.

... Not the best choice for your
favourite dinghy. I was curious what the approach of this floating
painter might be. Now I guess the engineers and chemists can get in on
the beef with the lawyers and managers.

Gary wrote:
White water rescue and safety ropes float.

You don't even have to look that far, go to the nearest
Laser regatta and check out the lines they're using nowadays.

... They have nylon or spectra
cores and braided sheaths and work very well for dinghy painters and tow
ropes. They are also very cheap. They hold knots and look good.

Try:
http://www.lifesaving.com/shopsite_s...ml/page36.html

Interesting, I've looked at a number of different types of
rope supply and tried mountaneering rope & industrial
rigging rope. Thanks for the link.

BTW you all should bear in mind that a floating dinghy
painter can still get pulled into the prop. I've had it
happen once or thrice and felt stupid every time. Wen the
boat is maneuvering, snug the dinghy up to the stern so the
painter isn't long enough to reach, and this also keeps the
dinghy from wandering aound free and wrapping around pilings.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King