Gary

Default Diesel heater opinions wanted

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Gary wrote:

Mike the Spamkiller wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:13:19 -0800, RW Salnick
wrote:

Roger, one option to avoid the need for 12V (at least the continuous
use of 12V) would be to put a daytank above the heater for gravity
feed, and then fill the daytank occasionally using a 12v pump.

Wouldn´t you still need 12V fan to get warm air around the boat?
Fuel pump and fan don´t need that much electricity. My 25-year old
Wallas1800 need some 0,5A current for pump and fan. Understand new
models use even less. A small solar panel can provide enough
electricity for heater.

Mika

Mine, with the gravity feed tank and one of those cool fans that sits
on top of the Dickinson stove and runs on the heat generated takes no
electricity and generates in excess of 6500 BTU.

Check it:
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop5...p?catalogid=34

The fan:
http://www.magma.ca/~barkhm5/ecofan.htm

Wow, cool fan. Would it work on top of a Force 10 propane heater?

It needs a flat spot to sit on and room for the blades to turn. I have
the small one and it moves a lot of air.
Roger Long

I use mine regularly. It works great. Keeps the boat and my
marriage very warm.

Where can I get one of those for my marriage?

--

Roger Long

Wayne.B

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:36:53 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:
I use mine regularly. It works great. Keeps the boat and my
marriage very warm.

Where can I get one of those for my marriage?

==============

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that boats and a warm marriage
are not always compatible.

Courtney Thomas

Gary wrote:
Roger Long wrote:

Thanks,

I thought these were pot burner heaters but I see that they are a lot
more sophisticated. I like the looks of this after reading through
the manual.

I am very impressed with how simple and functional mine is. I went down
their today, lit the stove and 20 minutes later was sitting in my shirt
sleeves having a pleasant read while the endless rain pounded the boat.
I last filled the day tank in early Dec but i only light the stove for
a few hours each time I go down to the boat (a couple days a week). It
seems to last forever. I used to burn stove oil in it but recently
switched to diesel and it burns just as clean but now I pull fuel
directly from the main tank. The switch was as simple as adjusting one
screw on the carb to allow the diesel to flow faster because it is more
viscous than stove oil.

Warm dry heat.

Gaz

Is stove oil, fuel oil ?

How does stove oil compare in price with diesel ?

Thank you,
Courtney
Gary

Courtney Thomas wrote:
I used to burn stove oil in
it but recently switched to diesel and it burns just as clean but now
I pull fuel directly from the main tank. The switch was as simple as
adjusting one screw on the carb to allow the diesel to flow faster
because it is more viscous than stove oil.

Warm dry heat.

Gaz

Is stove oil, fuel oil ?

How does stove oil compare in price with diesel ?

Thank you,
Courtney

I used to burn stove oil which is apparently cleaner burning than diesel
fuel oil. The stove can be set up for stove oil, diesel or kerosene. I
wanted it on diesel so I only have to carry one fuel and so I can run it
out of the main fuel tanks. I find the difference in cleanliness to be
noticeable but manageable. The diesel is cheaper.

Gaz