posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull

Default Which Bilge Pump?

In article . com,
"Chris" wrote:

I'd like recommendations which brand/type automatic bilge pump to
get: It will need to fit into the bilge of a Newport 27, which I am
guessing is 4" wide and 4-5" high.

We have the smallest Rule in the bilge.

About 6" higher and much further aft (under the cockpit, giving shorter
lines & less "lift") is the biggest one we found. Has never been used in
anger.

The Rule is their "auto" one: if it has power, it'll try to pump for a
few seconds every few minutes -- a real drain so I put a float switch
back in line. If the switch sticks "on", we're still covered for about a
week. I don't really like the Rule, but it's still working and I haven't
had an urge to switch it out.

--
Jere Lull
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Pete C

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:33:06 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Chris wrote:
I'd like recommendations which brand/type
automatic bilge pump to get:

THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

Forget the automatic option.

The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

In that case, let's talk.

Hi,

I've had good results with one of these in a dirty bilge (last on
page):

http://www.rule-industries.com/rule/floatsw.asp

Needs covering with a 'basket' though.

As far as pumps go I'd get one of the Johnson 'cartridge' ones, as the
pump motor can be replaced without touching the hoses:

http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/bilge/Cartridge_Duo.htm

cheers,
Pete.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Larry

Pete C wrote in
news
Needs covering with a 'basket' though.

Speaking of "baskets", I like the idea of putting the bilge pump into a
basket made of coarse plastic screen much larger than the bilge pump.
This makes a larger filter to keep the trash out of the pump so it
doesn't clog so fast as the tiny basket it comes with and keeps the pump,
itself, clean of trash so you don't have to disassemble and clean it.
Pick up the pump out of the basket, pull the basket out of the bilge and
clean it on the dock with the hose and replace it easily. The 12 slots
in the bottom of the pump never get clogged up and the large surface of
the basket takes a lot of clogging before you must clean it.

If you bilge, like ours, is too deep to reach the pump 5 ft down, suspend
the basket with the pump in it on a line so you can pick the whole affair
up to reach it.

Lionheart's bilge stays cleaner than the old Endeavours because the sink
water drains all that Dawn grease cutting dishwater into the main pump,
constantly dissolving any oil and grease into pumpable liquids. It also
keeps the bilge fresh from smelling like a swamp. Use anti-bacterial
Dawn and it kills the little stinkers sloshing around down there. You
have to be careful to use a sink strainer to keep the solids from going
down the drain. It would be nice to have an easily removable strainer in
the sink drain.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
derbyrm

The Johnson looks interesting. Is it available in the US?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Pete C" wrote in message
news

As far as pumps go I'd get one of the Johnson 'cartridge' ones, as the
pump motor can be replaced without touching the hoses:
http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/bilge/Cartridge_Duo.htm
cheers,
Pete.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Pete C

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:29:06 GMT, "derbyrm"
wrote:

The Johnson looks interesting. Is it available in the US?

Hi,

Looks like they go under the name 'Mayfair':

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&sl=on&lmode=online&q=c artridge+bilge+pump+.&scoring=p&lnk=pruser&price1= 10&price2=&btnP=Go

cheers,
Pete.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Pete C" wrote in message
news

As far as pumps go I'd get one of the Johnson 'cartridge' ones, as the
pump motor can be replaced without touching the hoses:
http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/bilge/Cartridge_Duo.htm
cheers,
Pete.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Don Dando

Chris,

In my opinion and experience, expensive ones burn up or get clogged with
leaves and bilge litter just as fast as the cheap ones! Hence, I buy a
very modest cost one and if I get 2 years out of it I feel lucky, but since
they are cheap I usually buy two at a time so when one conks out I have the
replacement on hand. I like to keep one spare at all times.

Think how many cheap ones you can buy for the cost of the very best one,
then ask if the expensive one is really X times better than the cheap one?

Don Dando

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd like recommendations which brand/type
automatic bilge pump to get: It will need to
fit into the bilge of a Newport 27, which I am
guessing is 4" wide and 4-5" high.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Chris

Does 'auto' for the rule mean it switches on and of
every few seconds, regardless if there is water or not?

If that is the case, are there any small bilge pumps
that are truly automatic, i.e. switching on only when
there actually is water?

I don't have a lot of space, about 3.5" wide and 6.5"
deep.

Thanks a lot,

Chris

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

Does 'auto' for the rule mean it switches on and of every few
seconds, regardless if there is water or not?

Sometimes. Check the specs, as some simply have enclosed switches.

If that is the case, are there any small bilge pumps that are truly
automatic, i.e. switching on only when there actually is water?

I don't have a lot of space, about 3.5" wide and 6.5" deep.

They exist, but I prefer discrete components.

--
Jere Lull
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Ricky

She actually lives on this boat.
...not much of a life though, too used up.

Sea Ray Sundancer Bilge Question Marty Schulze General 6 June 24th 11 09:00 PM
Which Bilge Pump? Chris Boat Building 18 December 18th 05 12:03 AM
Keep Bilge Area Dry or Keep It Wet for Winterizing? [email protected] General 23 November 30th 05 05:21 PM
bilge pump question seawitch Boat Building 1 November 29th 05 02:49 AM
Johnson 28 hp fuel pump Shorty General 1 October 15th 05 10:48 PM