Comcast Newsgroups

Default Ocean PC

I am looking for some information on the OCEAN PC. I am new to all of this
so please be gentle. I am doing some research to help a friend of mine. I am
actually looking for a manual on the unit. I am not sure of the model number
either. I have looked on elsewhere on the net but have been unable to find
anything definitive. Any information that could help find this information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rhys

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:33:18 -0600, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:

I am looking for some information on the OCEAN PC. I am new to all of this
so please be gentle. I am doing some research to help a friend of mine. I am
actually looking for a manual on the unit. I am not sure of the model number
either. I have looked on elsewhere on the net but have been unable to find
anything definitive. Any information that could help find this information
would be greatly appreciated.

What is "the" Ocean PC? Is it a purportedly "marinized" laptop? Is it
a desktop? More information, please, or you could investigate

Many here have experience in working aboard with PCs in various
configurations for navigation, amusement and making a living purposes,
but that's rarely the same computer or set-up involved.

R.

Armond Perretta

SaltAir wrote:

Ocean PC were a *marinized* PC out of Seattle. They are no longer in
production. The company is gone.

One of the reasons they sunk is that it's easier to buy 4 conventional
laptops and let them rot in the locker than it is to buy a single
under-powered and over-hyped "marinized" PC.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Danny

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
. ..
SaltAir wrote:

Ocean PC were a *marinized* PC out of Seattle. They are no longer in
production. The company is gone.

One of the reasons they sunk is that it's easier to buy 4 conventional
laptops and let them rot in the locker than it is to buy a single
under-powered and over-hyped "marinized" PC.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Common. Be fair. Ocean PC's were only twice as expensive as a superior PC.
(I used to sell them.)

Armond Perretta

Danny wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote ...
SaltAir wrote:

Ocean PC were a *marinized* PC out of Seattle. They are no longer in
production. The company is gone.

One of the reasons they sunk is that it's easier to buy 4
conventional laptops and let them rot in the locker than it is to
buy a single under-powered and over-hyped "marinized" PC.

Common. Be fair. Ocean PC's were only twice as expensive as a
superior PC. (I used to sell them.)

"Common"? Who you callin' "common"? Or did you perhaps mean "come on"?

Let me guess why you had trouble s(p)elling _anything_.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Danny

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
Danny wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote ...
SaltAir wrote:

Ocean PC were a *marinized* PC out of Seattle. They are no longer in
production. The company is gone.

One of the reasons they sunk is that it's easier to buy 4
conventional laptops and let them rot in the locker than it is to
buy a single under-powered and over-hyped "marinized" PC.

Common. Be fair. Ocean PC's were only twice as expensive as a
superior PC. (I used to sell them.)

"Common"? Who you callin' "common"? Or did you perhaps mean "come on"?

Let me guess why you had trouble s(p)elling _anything_.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Jacque! Jacque, is that you? Why, you sound just like Jacque Auss, that
silly Frenchman. He's always majoring in the minors and minoring in the
majors. He also has real trouble understanding English slang without some
pictures with the words.

Say it reeeal slow and "Common" sounds just like a contraction of "Come On."

TTFN

rhys

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:13:37 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

SaltAir wrote:

Ocean PC were a *marinized* PC out of Seattle. They are no longer in
production. The company is gone.

One of the reasons they sunk is that it's easier to buy 4 conventional
laptops and let them rot in the locker than it is to buy a single
under-powered and over-hyped "marinized" PC.

Yeah, that was sort of my point. You can buy "fleet" laptops of the
semi-generic PIII, 256Meg RAM, 15 in screen variety from clearance
places for about $200-$300 each and just use those. They will run all
the nav and com software you wish, and in fact are more than you need
in most applications, as such software, due to its intended market, is
one to two generations behind, say, the latest 3-D action games or the
latest video-editing packages.

You can go even more cheaply and more sensibly, in my opinion, if you
have the room, with a vented box stowed somewhere with a minitower PC
in it. A USB hub and a wireless router combined with IR should allow
you to operate the thing without actually touching it much, and you
could keep a cheap laptop in a silicon-packet-filled plastic bag for
when you needed to take something ashore or into the cockpit. Put an
LCD screen on an armature in the companionway with an IR sensor and
voila! PC power without getting the "brains" wet.

R.