Default Ocean Crossing on a Trailerable Unsinkable Corsair 36 !

http://www.corsairmarine.com

"Our new Corsair 36 is engineered and designed with the serious
blue water cruiser in mind."

This boat can be towed with a 3/4-ton pickup with a wide-load
permit.

The factory is right here in San Diego (Chula Vista) and I plan
to go and have a look next week.

According to the company's rep I talked to, there's a couple in
Sausalito, California planning to do a circumnavigation on this
boat. It takes about 11 days to sail from here to Hawaii.

So if anybody really wants to cross the Atlantic or Pacific on
a trailerable and unsinkable sailboat this is probably a better
choice than a MacGregor 26 :-)
Keith

Yea, and the Titanic was "unsinkable" as well.

"Keith" wrote:
Yea, and the Titanic was "unsinkable" as well.

This boat is lighter than water. The Titanic was
a lot heavier than water.
Capt. JG

They actually are practically unsinkable. The F boats are great. I've sailed
on a couple of them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yea, and the Titanic was "unsinkable" as well.

sherwindu

On a trailerable boat, I would be more concerned about the ballast ratio. Not being
sinkable is comforting, but doing a turtle roll on a boat in the middle of the ocean does
not appeal to me.

Sherwin D.

sherwindu wrote:
On a trailerable boat, I would be more concerned about
the ballast ratio. Not being sinkable is comforting,
but doing a turtle roll on a boat in the middle of the
ocean does not appeal to me.

I think you don't have to be concerned about this boat's
ballast :-)
JLG

Hello from Paris,
A few years ago, a circumnavigation (called Latitude zero) was
accomplished by a swiss (?) guy named Mike Horn on a Corsair 27.
www.mikehorn.com
Sincerely,
JLG

They are great boats, just a little expensive, about $200K for a 36foot
boat. For that price you could get a good cruiser and a trailerable
F27 to drive around. You would still have money left over for the ever
popular ocean going Mac 26.

sherwindu

I'm not concerned because I sail a monohull. Multihulls have two stable states, upright
and upside down, whereas most monohulls have only one stable state, upright. The
monohull has a heavy keel suspended like a pendlum, so when knocked down or over,
the natural stable state is for the boat to right itself.

I don't think the 5500 lb. weight of this 36 foot boat would not do much to prevent it flipping
when it is sideways to a huge wave, or caught with too much sail up in a strong gust.
It probably takes more force to flip this boat because of the longer moment arm, but once
it reaches a certain point, it will go over and stay there.

All that being said, I think this is a great boat for close offshore cruising, especially in shallow

places like Florida Bay or the Bahamian banks. I just wouldn't feel safe taking it across the
ocean or even riding out a gale in it.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

sherwindu wrote:
On a trailerable boat, I would be more concerned about
the ballast ratio. Not being sinkable is comforting,
but doing a turtle roll on a boat in the middle of the
ocean does not appeal to me.

I think you don't have to be concerned about this boat's
ballast :-)

Jukka Aittola

sherwindu wrote:
I'm not concerned because I sail a monohull. Multihulls have two stable states, upright
and upside down, whereas most monohulls have only one stable state, upright. The
monohull has a heavy keel suspended like a pendlum, so when knocked down or over,
the natural stable state is for the boat to right itself.

Strictly speaking, this is not the complete truth. Even monohulls have a
limit heel angle, called the angle of vanishing stability, above which
the boat has a stable state upside down, the mast pointing downwards.

In most modern monohull yachts the angle of vanishing stability is well
over 110 degrees, so that getting capsized is pretty unlikely. In the
conditions required for a capsize, most boats will probably eventually
right themselves from the upside down state when being thrown around in
the waves.

Regards,
Jukka