Peter HK

Default Ocean Crossing on a Trailerable Unsinkable Corsair 36 !

"sherwindu" wrote in message
..
Multihulls have two stable states, upright
and upside down, whereas most monohulls have only one stable state,
upright. The
monohull has a heavy keel

You have summarised the weak points in the different hullforms. Monos have a
heavy keel= sinkable but self righting. Multis are unballasted= unsinkable
but not self righting.

Saying in the multihull club I used to race with- "better upside down on the
surface than right-way-up on the bottom"

Peter HK

Capt. JG

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I'm not concerned because I sail a monohull. Multihulls have two stable
states, upright
and upside down, whereas most monohulls have only one stable state,
upright. The
monohull has a heavy keel suspended like a pendlum, so when knocked down
or over,
the natural stable state is for the boat to right itself.

I don't think the 5500 lb. weight of this 36 foot boat would not do much
to prevent it flipping
when it is sideways to a huge wave, or caught with too much sail up in a
strong gust.
It probably takes more force to flip this boat because of the longer
moment arm, but once
it reaches a certain point, it will go over and stay there.

All that being said, I think this is a great boat for close offshore
cruising, especially in shallow

places like Florida Bay or the Bahamian banks. I just wouldn't feel safe
taking it across the
ocean or even riding out a gale in it.

Sherwin D.

It's true that a mono will right itself most of the time. As someone else
pointed out, it's not 100% true, but good enough for now. I guess the issue
for me is that it will also right itself at the bottom. I would much rather
be in a boat that floats upside down, than sit on the bottom rightside up.

FYI, I'm mostly a monohull sailor, but I like multis and have sailed them. I
would not hesitate to take one a long distance.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Evan Gatehouse

sherwindu wrote:
I'm not concerned because I sail a monohull. Multihulls have two stable states, upright
and upside down, whereas most monohulls have only one stable state, upright. The
monohull has a heavy keel suspended like a pendlum, so when knocked down or over,
the natural stable state is for the boat to right itself.

Monos have two stable states too - upright and on the bottom.

I don't think the 5500 lb. weight of this 36 foot boat would not do much to prevent it flipping
when it is sideways to a huge wave, or caught with too much sail up in a strong gust.
It probably takes more force to flip this boat because of the longer moment arm, but once
it reaches a certain point, it will go over and stay there.

Sailed conservatively Farrier trimarans are safe as houses.
The only ones that seem to capsize are when they are
overpowered during racing, when adrenalin is running high

Evan Gatehouse