FMac

Default Marathon, Fl to the Exumas

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:27:22 GMT, "FMac" said:

Are there any safe routes across the Great Bahama Bank south of Andros
Island that can be run at night or with poor visibility (5 1/2 foot
draft)?

If not, what is the best route from Marathon to the lower Exumas?

Check your charts. You will be running against a current and it's rather
shallow in the southern area of Andros Island. You might want to

reconsider
changing your route northwardly.

I take it that checking his charts is what lead to the question.

If I understand correctly what you're trying to say it's that you know the
area, and the answer to his first question is no.

I took the northerly route, because I was sailing solo. Perhaps, with a
lookout forward the area north of 23N can be navigated successfully.

Wayne.B

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:08:52 GMT, "FMac" wrote:

I took the northerly route, because I was sailing solo. Perhaps, with a
lookout forward the area north of 23N can be navigated successfully.

What was your route across the banks going northerly and did you have
to dodge any coral heads?

FMac

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:08:52 GMT, "FMac" wrote:

What was your route across the banks going northerly and did you have
to dodge any coral heads?

If I were to proceed, I would heed Grandma's advice. However, what I did
was slid up the Gulf Stream and hung a right to the Providence Channel then
went in to the Exuma Sound between Eleuthera an Cat Island and proceeded to
Sampson Cay. Admittedly, it's the long way but remember I was solo and
coral heads weren't in the equation. Regardless, it's one of the pretty
places I visited. Work it and have fun.