sherwindu

Default Marathon, Fl to the Exumas

Hi again Wayne,
I just re-read your original posting and noticed you mentioned the south end of the
Exumas. Although Georgetown is an interesting place, I think the northern part has
more to offer in natural beauty, unless you have already been there. Even so, I would
suggest the northern approach as better defined. I do notice a route in the Bahamas Guide
from the south bight of Andros to Staniel Cay in the middle of the Exuma chain. I cannot
recommend this route because I never took it.

Sherwin D.

"Wayne.B" wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:33:09 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Then you could sail down the Tongue of

the Ocean safely at night.

Yes, that would remove a lot of uncertainty but be quite a bit longer.
Where did you exit Tongue of the Ocean?

Wayne.B

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:46:20 -0600, sherwindu
wrote:

I do notice a route in the Bahamas Guide
from the south bight of Andros to Staniel Cay in the middle of the Exuma chain. I cannot
recommend this route because I never took it.

Thanks. Do you happen to know the author of the Bahamas Guide that
you refer to?

Rosalie B.

wrote:

I do notice a route in the Bahamas Guide
from the south bight of Andros to Staniel Cay in the middle of the Exuma chain. I cannot
recommend this route because I never took it.

Thanks. Do you happen to know the author of the Bahamas Guide that
you refer to?

I don't know which one he means (and all our books are on the boat
which is up on the hard in the yard), but I found the "Bahamas
Cruising Guide" by Matthew Wilson to be VERY helpful. The Explorer
Chartbooks (there are 3 of them) are also very necessary. Between the
two of them you can probably safely set off and do whatever route they
both say is OK even if you don't know anyone else who has done it. I
also liked Steve Pavlidis's Exuma Guide Cruising to Exuma Cays.

I wasn't as enamored of the Yachtsman's Guide which everyone else
seemed to like. We also had the paper and electronic Maptech chart
kits, but the Explorer ones are better.

grandma Rosalie
Wayne.B

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:03:58 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

I found the "Bahamas
Cruising Guide" by Matthew Wilson to be VERY helpful.

===========================

Thanks, just ordered one from Amazon.com

They have the Table of Contents and some excerpts online which is
apparently a new service they are offering.

Rosalie B.

wrote:

I found the "Bahamas
Cruising Guide" by Matthew Wilson to be VERY helpful.

===========================

Thanks, just ordered one from Amazon.com

They have the Table of Contents and some excerpts online which is
apparently a new service they are offering.

I would rather order from Bluewater Books in Ft. Lauderdale. Their
service is better and I think the price is the same.

grandma Rosalie

Wayne.B

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:36:11 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

I would rather order from Bluewater Books in Ft. Lauderdale. Their
service is better and I think the price is the same.

======================================

That's good to know for future reference. Amazon is so convenient
however, once you have an account set up with them. A couple of mouse
clicks and the book is on its way. :-)

Rosalie B.

wrote:

I would rather order from Bluewater Books in Ft. Lauderdale. Their
service is better and I think the price is the same.

======================================

That's good to know for future reference. Amazon is so convenient
however, once you have an account set up with them. A couple of mouse
clicks and the book is on its way. :-)

Bluewater books http://www.bluewaterweb.com/ is better because

a) They have really speedy shipping - unlike Amazon who is telling me
that if I order now it will be 3-4 weeks.

b) They have all the boating books and guides AND charts including
electronic charts listed on their website by areas which is more
convenient when you don't know exactly what you want- you can look and
see what is available.

c) They have actual people at the store who know the stock or who will
go and look for something for you and you can talk to them and find
out whether what you think you want is what you actually will find
useful.

grandma Rosalie
sherwindu

I don't know what Grandma Rosalie's problem is with the Bahamas Guide. It may not have
fancy illustrations and even the latest GPS data ( I haven't checked the latest edition, so maybe
they now include it), but I have made numerous crossing and cruising of the Bahamas and this
publication called Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas is one of the best for an overall guide. The
book is compiled and updated by Bahamians and has easy to read presentations with many usefull
things, like sketch charts which show landmarks in places where there are no nautical markers.
It is published by Tropic Isle Publishers, Inc. who can be reached at 305-893-4277. They used to
be in North Miami, Florida. Be aware that the last copy I bought was back in 1997, so this number
may no longer be correct. I see it in most yachting supply stores, so you should have no problem
finding it.

Sherwin

wrote:

I found the "Bahamas
Cruising Guide" by Matthew Wilson to be VERY helpful.

===========================

Thanks, just ordered one from Amazon.com

They have the Table of Contents and some excerpts online which is
apparently a new service they are offering.

Geoff Schultz

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but the Bahamas Explorer charts
are the best charts of the area. You can find info on them at
http://www.explorercharts.com/

-- Geoff
Rosalie B.

sherwindu wrote:

I don't know what Grandma Rosalie's problem is with the Bahamas Guide. It may not have
fancy illustrations and even the latest GPS data ( I haven't checked the latest edition, so maybe
they now include it), but I have made numerous crossing and cruising of the Bahamas and this
publication called Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas is one of the best for an overall guide. The

It is a very good guide, but I liked others better. That's my
opinion, and I'm entitled to express it. You have a different
opinion. You don't need to complain about my opinion to express
yours.

I find the habit people have of referring to it as "the Bahamas Guide"
(which I did think you might have been doing) as though there were no
other guides quite off putting and uninformative. There aren't that
many more letters to type "Yachtsman's" instead of "Bahamas"

I didn't like it as well as I expected to, given what everyone else
said about it. However, I did not get this guide until the 2nd time
we went, when I was already somewhat familiar with the Bahamas and had
the other books. I do know that other people tout this guide as the
ultimate in guides for the Bahamas but it did not have a lot of the
things that I found very useful in Wilson's guide (like the phone
number of a dentist in Nassau).

I found the physical presentation harder to use, the text not as
clear, and I didn't find the sketches that useful although it is an
interesting idea. The Explorer charts have sketches to IIRC.

book is compiled and updated by Bahamians and has easy to read presentations with many usefull
things, like sketch charts which show landmarks in places where there are no nautical markers.
It is published by Tropic Isle Publishers, Inc. who can be reached at 305-893-4277. They used to
be in North Miami, Florida. Be aware that the last copy I bought was back in 1997, so this number
may no longer be correct. I see it in most yachting supply stores, so you should have no problem
finding it.

http://yachtsmansguide.com/store/index.php

There is a 2005 edition.