posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Duncan Heenan

Default deck hatches

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Jim Conlin" wrote

For a deck hatch, where failure might endanger the vessel, i'd put
safety first.

It's slightly off topic, but I carry some plywood cut-outs to act as
emergency hatch closers in the event of a hatch or window breaking

How would you fix the forehatch board in place if the glass/perspex were
to break?

Pete

Mine are fashioned on the assumption that the whole of the hinged opening
part, frame and all, has gone (or is folded flat), and simply blanks off the
opening.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Pete Verdon

Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote

How would you fix the forehatch board in place if the glass/perspex were
to break?

Mine are fashioned on the assumption that the whole of the hinged opening
part, frame and all, has gone (or is folded flat), and simply blanks off the
opening.

Right, but how do you plan to secure it in place?

I'm not trying to nitpick, by the way, I'm just curious.

Pete
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Gary

Pete Verdon wrote:
Duncan Heenan wrote:

"Pete Verdon" d wrote

How would you fix the forehatch board in place if the glass/perspex
were to break?

Mine are fashioned on the assumption that the whole of the hinged
opening part, frame and all, has gone (or is folded flat), and simply
blanks off the opening.

Right, but how do you plan to secure it in place?

I'm not trying to nitpick, by the way, I'm just curious.

Pete

The way we do it with portlight emergency covers is with a long bolt (or
two) and a wing nut reaching inside to a wooden bar that goes across the
hole like a damage control plate.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Roger Derby

Or just drill two holes in the panel, pass a line thru, caulk at the holes,
and then tie it to the stick underneath. Easier to stow. (Twist stick to
tighten.)

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Gary" wrote in message
Pete Verdon wrote:
Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote
How would you fix the forehatch board in place if the glass/perspex
were to break?

Mine are fashioned on the assumption that the whole of the hinged
opening part, frame and all, has gone (or is folded flat), and simply
blanks off the opening.

Right, but how do you plan to secure it in place?

The way we do it with portlight emergency covers is with a long bolt (or
two) and a wing nut reaching inside to a wooden bar that goes across the
hole like a damage control plate.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Duncan Heenan

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote

How would you fix the forehatch board in place if the glass/perspex were
to break?

Mine are fashioned on the assumption that the whole of the hinged opening
part, frame and all, has gone (or is folded flat), and simply blanks off
the opening.

Right, but how do you plan to secure it in place?

I'm not trying to nitpick, by the way, I'm just curious.

I have a small fitment on the inside to which a cord can be attached to lash
it down on to something inside the cabin. It is only ever intended as a
short term emergency thing and so aesthetics don't really matter.

deck hatches Nigel Boat Building 16 November 18th 05 02:43 AM
How to Fix Anchoring Points for T-Top? [email protected] General 2 November 8th 05 05:10 PM
Poop Deck? Bob Crantz ASA 4 November 1st 05 07:57 PM
Notes from a demo of the Selene 48 [email protected] General 2 October 7th 05 01:05 AM