Jim Conlin

Default deck hatches

If reglazing an existing hatch is an option, i'd strongly favor reglazing
with polycarbonate (such as Lexan). It won't weather as well as acrylic or
glass but it will be much less likely to fail in an impact. For a deck
hatch, where failure might endanger the vessel, i'd put safety first.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I need to buy a new deck hatch. The choice seems to be either a Lewmar 60

or
a Houdini super 50 foredeck hatch. They are both the same size (they're
both the same size) The Lewmar has Perspex (12mm I think) and the Houdini
6mm toughen glass. Houdini are a lot cheaper and I quite like the idea of
toughened glass, but is toughened glass likely to shatter into little
squares if it's walloped by a clew or similar object