Earl Colby Pottinger

Default Help, my small ship has come in, I have a dream!

Don White :

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

You know, more and more it looks like my first trips outside of Canada

will
be in Florida. What is it with you people there? It seems you have the
Canada SnowBird market all locked up. Is there and good reasons for a
Canadain to bother see the rest of the USA?

Earl Colby Pottinger

Depends on what coast you live on in Canada. Southern California ( San
Diego) can be nice.
The thing is...if you' re flying south during our winter season...
you may as well go where you can pretend it's summer. In January &
February your choices on the mainland USA are limited.

Do the Florida thing...and then try Cuba.
I spent a week at Orlando and a few days at St. Pete's and I have no
great desire to rush back. I'd like to do the entire Florida Keys trip
at least once..but there are a number of islands east of there that are
calling me first.

I am starting from Oshawa/Whitby that is just outside of Toronto, Ontario.
The canoe/outriggers go on top of my truck and I can drive down to anywhere
on the East coast with ease. So far I have not recieve any suggestions that
make it seem worthwhile to go to West Coast, and it will be easyier to stick
to Canada anyway as I have friends who do know B.C. and would be happy to
give me tips. Looks like Florida is the place to go in my short term plans.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Gary

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
Don White :

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

[...]

This doesn't make any sense. If you are looking to get out of winter
don't come west. They don't call it the wet coast for nothing.
Wayne.B

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:34:55 -0600, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

Really? Why would that be? I have been canoeing in 50KPH winds (not fun I
tell) without capsizing. I have been in 2-3 meter waves without capsizing.
Why should I capsize in the Bahamas if I am not there in the hurricane season?

50KPH is about 25 to 30 knots. Not an everyday occurrence in the
Bahamas but fairly frequent any time of year. With that kind of wind
and a strong opposing current (not uncommon), you can get some very
steep breaking seas which routinely capsize 20 to 24 foot powerboats
weighing thousands of pounds. Don't think it can't happen to you.

In the winter months the bad weather comes mostly from northerly cold
fronts but you can also get thunder squalls at any time. It sounds
like you are mentally and physically prepared for some tough going,
and if so, you'll probably do all right. Do not expect a walk in the
park however.

I agree with Don, San Diego is nice but where you gonna sail to there?
It is pretty but sorta crowded. You'd really have to keep a lookout to
keep from hitting anybody.