Jere Lull

Default Help, my small ship has come in, I have a dream!

In article ,
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

How hard will transfering the craft to the Bahamas be?

Who is the best to contact? Airline? Cruise boat? Or the special boat
transporters? Private boats making the crossing?

What else should I be thinking off.

Could possibly be tough to get it across, but I'd look towards a mail
boat or ferry.

Some will say you're crazy, but if you choose an appropriately sheltered
area, you'll be fine if you take reasonable precautions.

That said, you might find it easier to do, say, the 10000 Islands
section of SW Florida or into the Everglades. Or if your goal is the
Bahamas, you might find it easier to go camping some place which will
likely have a kayak or Sunfish for use.

--
Jere Lull
Earl Colby Pottinger

"d parker" :

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
"d parker" :

Sell it and buy another boat when you get there

Why?

ECP

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened

the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp

Save a lot of transport and customs issues

Problem, this canoe, is my first canoe. It means too much to me to sell. I
built up my cabin up North using only this one canoe for the first three
years. I have been on a lot of small lakes with this little beauty and I
know how much it can hold and how it will handle. When I took it onto Lake
Huron it got me and my ex-girlfriend across some very rough water. It is
because of the damage to the original wood work that I am rebuilding it into
a small sailing catamaran, and where am I going to find a craft like that in
the Bahamas?

Hobie Cats and Darts may be fun. But I am not after speed, I am after the
enjoyment of camping on a small beach, on a small island where there is not
another person in sight, taken there by a craft I built up with my own two
hands.

Besides, Hobies - Darts and others are usually all fiber glass. My craft
will be 50% hand crafted wood by weight by me and once you go wood you can't
go back

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Earl Colby Pottinger

Jere Lull :

In article ,
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

How hard will transfering the craft to the Bahamas be?

Who is the best to contact? Airline? Cruise boat? Or the special boat
transporters? Private boats making the crossing?

What else should I be thinking off.

Could possibly be tough to get it across, but I'd look towards a mail
boat or ferry.

Some will say you're crazy, but if you choose an appropriately sheltered
area, you'll be fine if you take reasonable precautions.

I have already been camping out of this canoe for the last twelve years. In
that time I had to deal with some very bad weather on land and my camping
gear is up to it. I have also had some very bad weather on the water, the
canoe can handle it if I keep it into the wind - plus I plan to cover a large
percentage of the top and add extra floatage chamberage to help keep out the
water and stay afloat if a storm does pop up.

That said, you might find it easier to do, say, the 10000 Islands
section of SW Florida or into the Everglades. Or if your goal is the
Bahamas, you might find it easier to go camping some place which will
likely have a kayak or Sunfish for use.

Ok, but the show on PBS and the surviour show on OLN that showed camping in
that area had the campers waking up to find themselves surround by sleeping
crocs. Seems they like the same areas that people like to camp. Up here in
Canada waking up to a thiefing chickmunk/mouse/rodent is normal (happens at
every popular park I have been, a poaching bear is a little rare (only had to
deal with bear twice - once a mother and cub so we left), or wolves howling
in the night (never meet any) - but srround by crocs is a little much for me.

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. Did I mention I never, that is *NEVER* go out alone without a full
floation jacket on - and that is no matter hot it get! I made that mistake
once and once, and that was the one time the boat I was on sank like a rock.
Even to this day I still am shock at how fast a small boat fill up and head
for the bottom.

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp
d parker

[...]

Wood eh? What ever floats your boat. I started on wood and went to GRP. I
would never go back to timber unless its for trim only. Too much work in my
opinion.

You dont have to find an identical craft. All you have to find is a suitable
craft.

DP

Earl Colby Pottinger

To those who think I am crazy check out:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...ically_Nothing

Tell me if that does not sound lovely.

ECP

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp

Larry

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote in
:

I assume this is a joke, but in case not, who is that?

Read rec.boats newsgroup for a day and you'll find out....

It's a joke for those who know....(c;

--
Larry
sherwindu

I have sailed both the Bahamas and Lake Michigan and Superior in both a 22 footer and a sailing kayak. I would not recommend sailing
any of those places far from any
protected harbor with a canoe, especially in the winter. I would recommend the Exumas for the best gunkholing, or some of the outlying
islands. You might consider
a used sailboat which could either tow your canoe, or have room on deck for stowing
it. That way, you could safely sail from Florida and do passages in open waters.

Sherwin D.

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

To those who think I am crazy check out:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...ically_Nothing

Tell me if that does not sound lovely.

ECP

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp

cruisenews

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

7) At my cabin I am busy converting a 16 foot canoe to a partly covered
sailing catamaran.

So here is my dream and questions assuming I can get the canoe properly
converted. Is my dream of cruising around the islands of the Bahamas for 1-2
weeks a valid dream? The canoe and add-ons will fit easyily on my truck, I
was planning to drive it all down to Florida, then get a lift to the Bahamas
then just cruise for a week or two.

How hard will transfering the craft to the Bahamas be?

Who is the best to contact? Airline? Cruise boat? Or the special boat
transporters? Private boats making the crossing?

What else should I be thinking off.

Earl Colby Pottinger

Important reading material:
http://web.media.mit.edu/%7Etim/pix/cuba.html
http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/yucatan/index.html

More fodder:
http://cruisenews.net/search2.php?search_term=canoe

Earl Colby Pottinger

sherwindu :

I have sailed both the Bahamas and Lake Michigan and Superior in both a 22
footer and a sailing kayak. I would not recommend sailing
any of those places far from any
protected harbor with a canoe, especially in the winter. I would recommend
the Exumas for the best gunkholing, or some of the outlying
islands. You might consider
a used sailboat which could either tow your canoe, or have room on deck for
stowing
it. That way, you could safely sail from Florida and do passages in open
waters.

Why not? And what about other seasons of the year. I don't expect to finish
the catamaran till about late summer.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp
Earl Colby Pottinger

"cruisenews" :

Important reading material:
http://web.media.mit.edu/%7Etim/pix/cuba.html

Interesting, but this man is a fool.

A) He never filed plans or even a destination with a friend.

B) He started hir trip without even know where he wanted to go.

C) By himself, Cuba, Gulfstream, known coming storm, very small boat? Need I
say more?

One main reason I am thinking of the Bahamas is so I never am out of sight of
land, and have no plans to spend night on the water.

http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/yucatan/index.html

Same idiot, new problems. Come on now, this guy seem to be having fun in a
way, but all his actions seem very dumb to me. No map/charts of the before
he sets out. Dry bags that don't stay dry (what type of junk bags is he
buying?). He did not even have a completed boat when he started out, or have
a pre-arranged boat/wood store to get the needed extras.

At the very least I plan to have all the parts needed before I arrive. My
dry bags stay dry even if you push them under water, I already have some
charts and plan to buy the latest available before I go. There probably be
lots of problems ahead, but the whole reason I am posting here is to find out
what I don't know. This guy just blindly sets sail without the less bit of
preparation.

More fodder:
http://cruisenews.net/search2.php?search_term=canoe

And thnks this looks like lots of interesting reading ahead for me.

Earl Colby Pottinger