Butch Davis

Default Add used oil to diesel fuel?

Steve,

Perhaps you missed the part where I said that the "Racor filter I always
installed on my vehicles' fuel lines would do a good enough job of removing
anything harmful"?

Butch
"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:11:30 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

John,

In the fleet application I used Racor's system which included filtration.
On my personal diesel vehicles I simply added the oil directly from the
crankcase to a nearly full fuel tank. My reasoning was that the lube oil
was well filtered by the oil filter and that the after market Racor filter
always installed in my vehicles' fuel lines would do a good enough job of
removing anything harmful.

That's not very good reasoning for 2 reasons... first, the typical auto
oil filter probably doesn't do as good a job as the racor fuel filter
made for the task of filtering diesel fuel. And second, if you left the
oil filter in long enough for it to get clogged, the bypass valve will
open and it won't filter the oil at all. And since you can't measure
the pressure difference across the filter, you have no idea whether the
bypass valve opened or not.

If you're gonna put the crankcase oil into the fuel system, filter it
first. Don't depend on the crankcase oil filter.

Steve

Bill McKee

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:55:52 -0500, Larry wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in
hlink.net:

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit
Diesel. But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

I have horrible visions of all those nearly invisible metal filings,
carbon
particles and other microscopic contaminants grinding away between the
fuel
pump pistons and those finely precision holes to .0001" tolerances they
pump so carefully into. Combine the solid contaminants too small to
filter
with all the acidic blowby chemistry, the reason we change the oil so
often
in a diesel engine, and I'd think it wouldn't take long to simply eat away
at the inside of the amazingly-expensive injection pump, primary pump, and
the tiny nozzles' guts in the cylinders.

Yecch.....all for a few bucks saved on a tank? I suppose if we're going
do this, we could also slowly dump the electrolyte from those old
batteries
in the fuel tank, too, to eat away at it all quicker!

That is the central problem, I expect. One's lurid imagination about
graphic consequences. How did you feel when you first heard about
the new-fangled military technique for decoking gas turbines used in
helicopters - namely, throwing a basket full of chopped walnut shells
into the air intake?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Was used on lots of jet engines before helos.