Tamaroak

Default Add used oil to diesel fuel?

I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase
(20 quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving
the purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff
Bill McKee

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase (20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit Diesel.
But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

Lew Hodgett

"Tamaroak" writes:

I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase

(20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of disposal.

Let's see now, 20 qts of contaminated motor oil, or 5 gallons.

Even at $4/gallon for diesel, that's $20.

The cleaning process for the 20 qts of oil will probably consume at
least $25 of filters plus whatever is required to neutralize the acids
in the oil prior to filtering.

Sounds like a winner to me.G

Lew
Bill McKee

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Bill McKee wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase

(20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit

Diesel.
But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

Why?

Eisboch

What if any of those contaminents get through to the pump. particles, will
score it, and the used oil has acids.

Rich Hampel

and worse than that a lot of this high fraction weight oil wont burn
completely in the combustion chamber and WILL 'coke' in the exhaust
section and begin to block the exhaust. Do you know how to remove
carbon blockage from an exhaust system?

If your engine wasnt designed to burn bunker-C or other thick heavy
'goo', dont add motor oil to your fuel.

:-)

In article . net, Bill
McKee wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Bill McKee wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase

(20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit

Diesel.
But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

Why?

Eisboch

What if any of those contaminents get through to the pump. particles, will
score it, and the used oil has acids.

Larry

"Bill McKee" wrote in
ink.net:

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit
Diesel. But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

I have horrible visions of all those nearly invisible metal filings, carbon
particles and other microscopic contaminants grinding away between the fuel
pump pistons and those finely precision holes to .0001" tolerances they
pump so carefully into. Combine the solid contaminants too small to filter
with all the acidic blowby chemistry, the reason we change the oil so often
in a diesel engine, and I'd think it wouldn't take long to simply eat away
at the inside of the amazingly-expensive injection pump, primary pump, and
the tiny nozzles' guts in the cylinders.

Yecch.....all for a few bucks saved on a tank? I suppose if we're going to
do this, we could also slowly dump the electrolyte from those old batteries
in the fuel tank, too, to eat away at it all quicker!

--
Larry
Butch Davis

Larry,

No offense but your concerns are misplaced. Of course the great thing about
our country is that YOU get to decide based upon your beliefs. But, would
large fleet managers recycle lube oil into fuel tanks if it was costing them
money? The systems used for the purpose include complete and adaquate
filtration.

This debate comes along from time to time in this group. Most folks are
horrified with the idea and would not do it for love nor $$$. I just happen
to be one of a few folks on the group who spent a lifetime operating and
maintaining diesel engines in a fleet setting. I've had a lot of training
in the field and have attended all major manufacturer's training schools.
I've followed the practice for many years and have not had any unusual
injector nor pump failures.

I guess I've said waaay more than enough on the subject. As stated earlier,
YMMV.

Butch
"Larry" wrote in message
"Bill McKee" wrote in
ink.net:

[...]

Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:55:52 -0500, Larry wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in
link.net:

[...]

That is the central problem, I expect. One's lurid imagination about
graphic consequences. How did you feel when you first heard about
the new-fangled military technique for decoking gas turbines used in
helicopters - namely, throwing a basket full of chopped walnut shells
into the air intake?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Bill McKee

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:55:52 -0500, Larry wrote:

"Bill McKee" wrote in
hlink.net:

[...]

Was used on lots of jet engines before helos.