Roger Long

Default Sara Gamp comes ashore

Sara Gamp came ashore in, of all places, Yarmouth NS. Damage appears
minimal but no word on her disposition. There are pictures he

www.adamgrahamphoto.blogspot.com

Shows once again that boats can do a great job taking care of
themselves after the crew is evacuated.

--

Roger Long

Howard Peer

Roger Long wrote:
Sara Gamp came ashore in, of all places, Yarmouth NS. Damage appears
minimal but no word on her disposition. There are pictures he

www.adamgrahamphoto.blogspot.com

Shows once again that boats can do a great job taking care of
themselves after the crew is evacuated.

Last summer I bought a 33' steel cutter in Shelbourne and sailed it to
Sydney ~430 miles.

My first (sail) boat and first time sailing.

I'm a poster child for why they build steel sail boats.

All in all this is most encouraging set of photos. Not because of what
went wrong, but because of what went right.

I understand the old gentleman (about 75?) got hypothermia and was
pretty weak when taken off.

rhys

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:44:37 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Sara Gamp came ashore in, of all places, Yarmouth NS. Damage appears
minimal but no word on her disposition. There are pictures he

www.adamgrahamphoto.blogspot.com

Shows once again that boats can do a great job taking care of
themselves after the crew is evacuated.

And people ask me why I am considering steel for an offshore
boat...G

Anyone know if this is claimed as salvage or can the owner reclaim it?

R.

Roger Long

This boat was aluminum which is even tougher than steel in this kind
of event since it bends and deforms and is more likely to remain
watertight.

The owner was notified of the boat's stranding but that's all I know
at this point.

--

Roger Long

wrote:

Sara Gamp came ashore in, of all places, Yarmouth NS. Damage
appears
minimal but no word on her disposition. There are pictures he

www.adamgrahamphoto.blogspot.com

Shows once again that boats can do a great job taking care of
themselves after the crew is evacuated.

And people ask me why I am considering steel for an offshore
boat...G

Anyone know if this is claimed as salvage or can the owner reclaim
it?

R.

Roger Long

And people ask me why I am considering steel for an offshore
boat...G

Go with aluminum if you can. No compass problems and you can make
emergency repairs with hand tools and sheet metal screws.

I saw a 60 foot sailboat that had gone ashore on a rocky island and
had it's keel torn off. One side was pushed in three feet for about
half the length. Still, it could have been made watertight and
floated off with about five feet of duct tape. A steel hull, although
stronger according to some measures, would have been in pieces after
that treatment.

--

Roger Long

Gary

Roger Long wrote:
And people ask me why I am considering steel for an offshore
boat...G

Go with aluminum if you can. No compass problems and you can make
emergency repairs with hand tools and sheet metal screws.

I saw a 60 foot sailboat that had gone ashore on a rocky island and
had it's keel torn off. One side was pushed in three feet for about
half the length. Still, it could have been made watertight and
floated off with about five feet of duct tape. A steel hull, although
stronger according to some measures, would have been in pieces after
that treatment.

Just don't drop a penny in a salty bilge on an aluminum boat. Sheet
metal screws? Ever see any corrosion on an aluminum mast near the
rivets and sheet metal screws?
There are more old steel boats than old aluminum boats.
Roger Long

"Peter Wiley" wrote

No it wouldn't and saying that demonstrates that you don't know the
characteristics of materials. Steel is more ductile than aluminium -
it
will deform more before reaching its plastic limit and tearing. It
is
also less susceptible to work hardening and notch sensitivity, and
welds can be 100% the strength of the parent material, which is not
the
case with al. Steel is also far more resistant to abrasion.

True, (except for the first line), but we are talking about the
behavior of an entire structure not a test specimen. The aluminum
hull behaves sort of like a rubber inflatable boat and the steel hull
like a fiberglass one. The glass hull is "stronger" but may be more
likely to puncture in many situations.

The steel hull would have been in pieces not because it is weaker but
because it would have flooded and been rolled around on the rocks full
of water instead of retaining enough buoyancy to get up above the surf
line.
Obviously, anything can happen in any accident but I've seen enough
damaged boats to have great respect for aluminum.

I have enough understanding of the materials characteristics to design
boats like this one:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/WHOIrv.htm

--

Roger Long

Don White

Roger Long wrote:
[...]

If the organization that owns that boat has confidence in your
designs...that's good enough for me!
Peter Wiley

In article , Roger Long
wrote:

[...]

Notwithstanding, I like aluminium for boats myself and if I ever get
the urge, would weigh carefully the first cost vs maintenance issues
WRT steel and aluminium.

PDW