Iain Hibbert

Default Sara Gamp comes ashore

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:01:15 -0500, rhys wrote:

That's sometimes the problem with steel. Designer assume you've got
ordinary seamen available to chip and paint constantly.

yeah, must get some of those..

That looks like Fenit, Co. Kerry, facing the Dingle Peninsula. I know
the area well, but as a cyclist, not a sailor. There's at least four
bike shops in Tralee, and all seem to be owned by (if I recall) a
family called Cable.

I've only found two bike shops so far, one is Caball and the other is a
combo "Bicycle/Gas Cooker/Nursery Supplies" shop, not sure where they got
that idea from, heh. It seems good cycling around here as its mostly
flat, though Beara peninsula was fun. I am living aboard at Fenit for the
winter and cycle to Tralee (8 miles) fairly regularly.

Is that dockage pretty rough? It looks a bit exposed.

Not really, if you zoom out a bit you can see that the fetch to the south
is about a mile. The fetch to the east is longer and a bit of slop comes
in in an easterly gale. Westerly the fetch is about 5 miles but the open
ocean is kind of around the corner to the northwest so no big swell gets
here so far as I can see (I've only been here a month) but we are fully
protected from that direction.

having said that, Fenit means Rough in Gaelic, and I have been hit by
spray coming over the wall and I'm 150ft away..

--
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=irelan...244,0.0822&t=k

Don White

more bad news for this yacht...
http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=2484&sc=2
rhys

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:03:09 GMT, Don White
wrote:

more bad news for this yacht...
http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=2484&sc=2

I didn't get the sense from that article if it had--or if it COULD
be--refloated and towed to a safer harbour.

If it's still on the beach, are they vandals or salvagers? I'm not
trying to be a smartass here, and my sympathies are with the old
fellow, but is this vessel not "abandoned"?

R.

Corey

Roger Long wrote:

And people ask me why I am considering steel for an offshore
boat...G

Go with aluminum if you can. No compass problems and you can make
emergency repairs with hand tools and sheet metal screws.

I saw a 60 foot sailboat that had gone ashore on a rocky island and
had it's keel torn off. One side was pushed in three feet for about
half the length. Still, it could have been made watertight and
floated off with about five feet of duct tape. A steel hull, although
stronger according to some measures, would have been in pieces after
that treatment.

The sailboat dosent look anything like the pictures , people have been
going there taking stuff off of it steady there is nothing left mast's
sails everythings gone.

http://www.usenet.com