d parker

Default Birdflu Disaster Preparation

or from top posting.. there are so many ways to die that a mere flu
epi-pan-demic is minimal..

DP
"MMC" wrote in message
m...
What I find it helpful in protecting myself from the current Weapon of
Mass
Distraction is to change the channel to more reality based programming
like
Cartoon Network, or flip around until I find professional wrestling.
Last night one of our local station was advertising news to be shown the
next day. Is it really news if you wait a day to broadcast?
Last I heard there were 120 dead from the bird flu, I'll bet we have more
homeless die in DC this winter than that.
How many die each year from the regular, constantly changing flu
varieties?
How many of the victims were very young, very old, or were compromised by
other health problems?
MMC

"prodigal1" wrote in message
.. .
Tamaroak wrote:
I don't think many of us really believe this government has its act
together about much of anything these days, much less disaster
preparedness, and even if it does, it sure wouldn't hurt to have some
options.

Given a worst case scenario, what would you want to have aboard your
boat if you decided to take off and live on it to avoid being infected
if this becomes an issue like it did in 1918?

I'm on Lake Superior, and could find places to hang out for quite a
while thast would not expose us to sources of infection. I could maybe
catch a fish or shoot a grouse or squirrel to supplement our diet. (No,
this would not work from December to April, not where I'm at, anyway.)

Capt. Jeff

this was a joke, right?
please tell me you aren't really losing sleep over this, yes?

Tamaroak

Read about 1918. Things are no different today except the speed of
transmission would be much faster. Losses in the US might be 2 - 20
million. I'm hoping none will be from my family and am taking some
minimal steps to reduce my exposure. None will be expensive.

Capt. Jeff
Gordon Wedman

"MMC" wrote in message
m...
What I find it helpful in protecting myself from the current Weapon of
Mass
Distraction is to change the channel to more reality based programming
like
Cartoon Network, or flip around until I find professional wrestling.
Last night one of our local station was advertising news to be shown the
next day. Is it really news if you wait a day to broadcast?
Last I heard there were 120 dead from the bird flu, I'll bet we have more
homeless die in DC this winter than that.
How many die each year from the regular, constantly changing flu
varieties?
How many of the victims were very young, very old, or were compromised by
other health problems?
MMC

"prodigal1" wrote in message
.. .
Tamaroak wrote:
[...]

Current stats show a 50% fatality rate. Those are not very good odds. Its
either you or your wife. As for the health condition of those who have
died, they were a mix of average people.

I don't know about heading off on a longterm cruise but if it hits I'm sure
gonna take lots of precautions.

prodigal1

Tamaroak wrote:
Read about 1918. Things are no different today except the speed of
transmission would be much faster. Losses in the US might be 2 - 20
million. I'm hoping none will be from my family and am taking some
minimal steps to reduce my exposure. None will be expensive.

Capt. Jeff

Cap'n Jeff, I hope you don't think I'm mocking you too hard. You're
correct about the 1918 epidemic and the odds are something like this
will happen again. I'm trying to be of Zen mind about things like this.
Frequently it happens that despite all of our planning and
contingencies, things that we can't control happen to us and sometimes
those are _bad_ things. Enjoy today without worry or fear. And in a
quiet moment of peaceful contemplation ask yourself why there seem to be
_so_many_things_ to be fearful of. Qui bono?
Bil

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:10:24 -0500, prodigal1 wrote:

Tamaroak wrote:
Read about 1918. Things are no different today except the speed of
transmission would be much faster. Losses in the US might be 2 - 20
million. I'm hoping none will be from my family and am taking some
minimal steps to reduce my exposure. None will be expensive.

Capt. Jeff

Cap'n Jeff, I hope you don't think I'm mocking you too hard. You're
correct about the 1918 epidemic and the odds are something like this
will happen again. I'm trying to be of Zen mind about things like this.
Frequently it happens that despite all of our planning and
contingencies, things that we can't control happen to us and sometimes
those are _bad_ things. Enjoy today without worry or fear. And in a
quiet moment of peaceful contemplation ask yourself why there seem to be
_so_many_things_ to be fearful of. Qui bono?

Exactly. And ask yourself who is behind the avian flu fear epidemic -
none other than the UNO's World Health Organization. This is the same
WHO that declared 10 years ago that its aim was to roll back malaria.
Result, ten years later, is that deaths from malaria have doubled. And
the most significant force working against malaria seems to be the
Bill Gates Foundation. This is the same WHO that two years ago
developed plans and procedures for dealing with a pandemic - if your
only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail; if your only
tool is procedures for a pandemic, every disease looks like a
pandemic. The WHO has no credibility.

prodigal1

Bil wrote:
snip
thanks Bil.
those damn World Health Organization people!!!
who knew????
Tamaroak

I purchase car insurance for about $1000 annually to get $500,000 in
liability protection and from losing vehicles worth $20,000. If I didn't
have the insurance and lost the vehicles and/or had to pay a bunch of
money because I disobeyed some traffic law I could afford it. The
likelihood of this happening has to be somewhere way less than 5%
because I don't drink and drive.

I plan to spend about $250 and pull $400 out of savings to help protect
myself and my family from losing their lives should this pandemic occur.
Do the math associated with a cost/benefit analysis, assigning a value
of $1,000,000 per life X 5 and a likelihood of 10% of the event occuring
with even a 10% chance of loss of life and you'll see this makes a whole
lot more sense than buying car insurance.

And our presidummy in Washington and his handpicked minions couldn't
even prepare for a hurricane knowing full well it was coming to a tiny
portion of the US and knowing just exactly what hurricanes do, having
seen them since the 1600's. Imagine what will happen if we have a
massive health crisis where so many more people have to be contained,
fed, clothed, hospitalized, etc. with most of our national guard in Iraq.

I'll be looking out for myself, thank you, and those with more than half
a brain will be doing the same.

Capt. Jeff
d parker

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message

Snip

Current stats show a 50% fatality rate. Those are not very good odds.
Its either you or your wife.

hope its her!

DP

bob

Killer Bees.........Y2K.............Bird flu..........

Your more likely to become a victim of modern day Mccartheism in the US
crusing the waterways. No joke.