Tamaroak

Default Birdflu Disaster Preparation

I don't think many of us really believe this government has its act
together about much of anything these days, much less disaster
preparedness, and even if it does, it sure wouldn't hurt to have some
options.

Given a worst case scenario, what would you want to have aboard your
boat if you decided to take off and live on it to avoid being infected
if this becomes an issue like it did in 1918?

I'm on Lake Superior, and could find places to hang out for quite a
while thast would not expose us to sources of infection. I could maybe
catch a fish or shoot a grouse or squirrel to supplement our diet. (No,
this would not work from December to April, not where I'm at, anyway.)

Capt. Jeff
Dennis Pogson

Tamaroak wrote:
I don't think many of us really believe this government has its act
together about much of anything these days, much less disaster
preparedness, and even if it does, it sure wouldn't hurt to have some
options.

Given a worst case scenario, what would you want to have aboard your
boat if you decided to take off and live on it to avoid being infected
if this becomes an issue like it did in 1918?

I'm on Lake Superior, and could find places to hang out for quite a
while thast would not expose us to sources of infection. I could maybe
catch a fish or shoot a grouse or squirrel to supplement our diet.
(No, this would not work from December to April, not where I'm at,
anyway.)

Capt. Jeff

Given that the infection will most likely be passed from human to human if
and when the virus has mutated, a vast amount of food might be one thing to
stock up on. Of course, if it became a fact that humans could catch it from
birds, and given that seagulls and other seabirds can and do land on boats,
by day and at night, I doubt whether you would be much safer at sea unless
the middle of the Southern Ocean beckons you.

Squirrelburgers don't appeal to me, grouse is a bird that could easily be
infected, so that means you shouln't leave without the fishing gear, but if
the pandemic were to last a long time, you might get tired of trout and
salmon.

Guess Mr Heinz will do rather well if more of us take your advice!

Dennis.

Rich Hampel

1. a pre-inocculation of "Tamiflu'. plus a current innoculation with
'this years mix' standard flu vaccine.
2. NIOSH rated face masks - large supply
3. Lot of disposable latex gloves
4. Large storage of Clorox .... to wash EVERYTHING that comes onboard
5. Learn NEVER to touch your face, eyes, mouth, etc. without thoroughly
washing your hands ...... touch something that POSSIBLY touched an
infected person, then wash your hands BEFORE you touch your face, pick
your nose, rub your eyes, etc.
6. Immediate change of clothes when after coming into close proximity
with 'others' and coming 'home' ....then washing ones exposed body
parts.
7. Keep healthy, dont let yourself get overly tired, etc. Regular
sleep, etc. to keep your immune system at top performance.

Simple soap and water plus impeccible hygiene will vastly reduce your
risk.

In article , Tamaroak
wrote:

I don't think many of us really believe this government has its act
together about much of anything these days, much less disaster
preparedness, and even if it does, it sure wouldn't hurt to have some
options.

Given a worst case scenario, what would you want to have aboard your
boat if you decided to take off and live on it to avoid being infected
if this becomes an issue like it did in 1918?

I'm on Lake Superior, and could find places to hang out for quite a
while thast would not expose us to sources of infection. I could maybe
catch a fish or shoot a grouse or squirrel to supplement our diet. (No,
this would not work from December to April, not where I'm at, anyway.)

Capt. Jeff

prodigal1

Tamaroak wrote:
I don't think many of us really believe this government has its act
together about much of anything these days, much less disaster
preparedness, and even if it does, it sure wouldn't hurt to have some
options.

Given a worst case scenario, what would you want to have aboard your
boat if you decided to take off and live on it to avoid being infected
if this becomes an issue like it did in 1918?

I'm on Lake Superior, and could find places to hang out for quite a
while thast would not expose us to sources of infection. I could maybe
catch a fish or shoot a grouse or squirrel to supplement our diet. (No,
this would not work from December to April, not where I'm at, anyway.)

Capt. Jeff

this was a joke, right?
please tell me you aren't really losing sleep over this, yes?
Tamaroak

I'm not losing sleep about it, but am concerned that in a worst case
scenario the government would be incapable of dealing with the massive
problems that would occur. It would be nice to be prepared for this as
an individual, as many in Louisiana would attest. One of the differences
in this type of issue is that one would not want to be housed in a
stadium or other such arrangement with others who could be infected with
the flu. Also, it could involve the entire planet, so you couldn't count
on help from these next state over, like in a hurricane or tornado.
Hospitals will no doubt be overwhelmed. Read about 1918. Things are no
different today other than the problem would be likely to spread much
quicker.

This does not include digging a moat around my house and filling it with
alligators, but might involve having:

-a month's supply of food and water
-communication plans for everyone in the family
-cash, as ATMs could be empty or inoperative
-emergency meeting locations
-disinfectant, masks and gloves
-extra fuel, batteries, a battery powered radio
-a good first aid kit
-an alternative heat source, especially here in Minnesota
-extra blankets, warm clothing
-lanterns, camping gear for cooking
-essential medications

Most importantly, it would involve a plan, including things like filling
the tub with water, a criteria for who else you let in when you're the
only house in the neighborhood that has heat and how you will deal with
those who don't respect your criteria, etc. This has been an interesting
topic for discussion in our house.

We insure our cars and spend a lot of time researching vehicles we buy.
This fits right up there in the priority list, as the consequences of
ignoring this might be at best, very inconvenient and uncomfortable.

These are prudent thoughts for all kinds of emergencies like weather,
terrorist attacks, etc. and don't really involve great expense, except
feeding the alligators in the moat!

Capt. Jeff

prodigal1

d parker wrote:
I have placed aluminium foil over all the windows of the house and put and
Ardvark shell hat on my head.. What now- garlic around my neck?

naw, won't do just covering the windows
you need industrial strength protection

http://www.zapatopi.net/afdb
d parker

"prodigal1" wrote in message
d parker wrote:
I have placed aluminium foil over all the windows of the house and put
and Ardvark shell hat on my head.. What now- garlic around my neck?

naw, won't do just covering the windows
you need industrial strength protection

http://www.zapatopi.net/afdb

Ahhha! I have ordered several. That will keep the spying Govenment and
their alien friends from taking control of my mind again. No more sexual
experimentation on my anus from them! Bwaahaahaaahaahhaahha..

DP

MMC

What I find it helpful in protecting myself from the current Weapon of Mass
Distraction is to change the channel to more reality based programming like
Cartoon Network, or flip around until I find professional wrestling.
Last night one of our local station was advertising news to be shown the
next day. Is it really news if you wait a day to broadcast?
Last I heard there were 120 dead from the bird flu, I'll bet we have more
homeless die in DC this winter than that.
How many die each year from the regular, constantly changing flu varieties?
How many of the victims were very young, very old, or were compromised by
other health problems?
MMC

"prodigal1" wrote in message
.. .