rhys

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:53:15 GMT, "John Cairns"
wrote:

Since you mentioned autopiloting, would add that tillerpilots are about half
the cost of wheelpilots and a LOT easier to install.

Yes, that's true. Mechanically simpler, as well. The downside, and
it's easily remedied, is that the pilot is often "outside" in the
elements, somehow attached to a locker hatch or something. Even a
plastic bag will help if it's absolutely ****ing/soaking out, although
they are supposed to be more or less waterproof.

I just found a discarded Autohelm 1000 that I will attempt to revive
and/or cannibalize because I have a working...if antique...Autohelm
1000 that is adequate to my needs (holds a course or keeps the boat
head-to-wind with the engine on, that sort of thing.)

R.

rhys

On 24 Sep 2005 06:42:01 -0700, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

After 25 years of wheel-mania, however, things may be changing, just a
bit. I saw that a brand new Jenneau SO 32
http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...=395&catID=565

nice info "R"...i always pictured a tiller as a firmly attached antenna
protruding
up, and out of the rudder...throwing out all sorts of useful
information...i guess
on boats under 35 feet, or so....tillers would be better, coupled w/a
great auto
pilot system....

Better for some, not for others. There's nothing wrong with a wheel
even on a 27 footer or so, but the tendency has been to install wheels
in all cruisers and some racers without actually thinking of the solid
advantages a tiller possesses, and ignoring some of the potential
downsides of a wheel.

That said, if my boat had come with a wheel and not a tiller, I highly
doubt I would have torn it out. My biggest ergometric problem is that
I have to crouch a bit and blindly feel for the gear shift when I'm
docking, as the engine controls are low in the side of the port
cockpit locker. With a wheel, they are almost always immediately at
hand.

R.

Capt. JG

Not sure you can ask that question, because so much depends on the situation
and boat. I teach on both. I think you get a better feel for the boat if it
has a tiller (but not always), and I enjoy driving from the low side when
single- or short-handing with a wheel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
ups.com...
what's better & why??

~^ beancounter ~^

yea...i guess it really depends on the size and weight
of the sailboat....i guess any boat over, say 32 feet or so
will have or "come with" a wheel....i am l@@kin' at ericsons
32 - 38, late 80's to early 90's.....thanx everyone for the thoughts
and comments....

Capt. JG

I'm not a big fan of Ericsons.. talked to an owner recently. He and his wife
thought they were nice, but tender, and nothing he would want to be on in
over 20 kts of wind.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
ups.com...
yea...i guess it really depends on the size and weight
of the sailboat....i guess any boat over, say 32 feet or so
will have or "come with" a wheel....i am l@@kin' at ericsons
32 - 38, late 80's to early 90's.....thanx everyone for the thoughts
and comments....

Bil Hansen

On 23 Sep 2005 16:02:04 -0700, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

anyone ever used a trim tab on a rudder? like
we have on rudders and elevators in airplanes?
this allows the pilot to "dial in" a certain amount of balance...

Yes. My rudder trim tab, designed by Larry Pardy, allows me to set the
tab - for example to offset prop walk (from the single prop, when
underway forward).

Cheers
Capt. JG

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you actually should do it.
Just about any boat can be modified to do a circumnavigation, but why not
just get one that's got most of what you should have to begin with...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:47:41 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Ericsons.. talked to an owner recently. He and his
wife
thought they were nice, but tender, and nothing he would want to be on in
over 20 kts of wind.

That must have been quite a hindrance for all the circumnavigators.

rusty redcloud

~^ beancounter ~^

Capt. JG....that's interesting...thanx for the info...i thought
ericsons were considered a bit on the overbuilt and heavy
side....not as light as, say cal's, catilinas, etc...

~^ beancounter ~^

Bill...that's interesting...what is the control like, just a simple
knob or small wheel??....Do you use the trim tab while under sail,
or primarly under power??

Bil

On 27 Sep 2005 07:24:01 -0700, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

Bill...that's interesting...what is the control like, just a simple
knob or small wheel??....Do you use the trim tab while under sail,
or primarly under power??

The trim tab has its own miniature tiller. And the mini-tiller can be
fixed to a nut running on a threaded rod that runs athwartships. The
threaded rod can be rotated, so the angle of the mini-tiller and hence
the trim tab can be set finely.

Under power, the angle of the trim tab can be set to balance the prop
walk.

Under sail or when motor-sailing, the mini-tiller becomes a
self-steering machine after being released from the nut so it can be
driven by either a tiller-pilot or a wind vane - see the
manufacturer's website at http://www.freehandsteering.com

Cheers

Vovlvo IPS- Inboard Performance System- Reinventing the wheel [email protected] General 6 May 19th 05 09:54 PM
wheel steering,.. which way does it turn? CW - CCW? Rich Hampel Cruising 7 December 23rd 04 09:07 PM
Using a Tiller Pilot FamilySailor ASA 22 September 8th 04 01:03 AM
Tiller control Parallax Cruising 12 October 17th 03 07:47 PM
Boat Steering (tiller vs wheel) Lee Maxwell General 10 September 17th 03 03:13 AM