Mic

Default Electric propulsion for boats options - DIY + links

I like the concept of electric drive for a sailboat. Below are many
links to a variety of options, depending on the lenght of the vessel.
There seem to be many options including building your own. There is
even a motor that acts as a generator when sailing. There are some
links to those with real practical experience in this form of
propulsion.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...ID=396&catID=0
Perpetuated Motion
Electric propulsion for boats: A century-old technology may just be
the wave of the future
March 7, 2005
By Tim Murphy

http://members.cox.net/sholley1/electric.htm
"A few years back I was impressed when I saw a "dock maintainance
barge" tooling around the cove in our Marina under the power of a
little 12 volt trolling motor. It was small, old, but the persistance
of the little thing moved the barge around quite well. I proceeded
down to my boat, and embarked on the following procedure to go
sailing."

GOOD AND PRACTICAL^^^^

http://www.rayeo.com/
This site is not only dedicated to selling our products, but selling
YOU on electric boating. Worth a look.

http://www.rayeo.com/motors.htm
System 450 Remote Control Model, with batteries and charger shown
Delivers 270 lbs. of thrust (System 500)
# 48 volt (4.5 hp), 36 volt (2.4 hp) or 60 volt (5.0 hp)
# 25 ampere Battery Charger (36 or 48 volt or a 20-amp 60 volt),
recharges completely discharged batteries in 12 hours, shuts off
automatically
http://www.rayeo.com/pricing.htm
http://www.rayeo.com/art_11.htm
"Slip Clutch: No use checking other brands for a slip clutch which
will permit the propeller to hit bottom kick the motor up and just
keep going as the motor falls back into position and the trip release
resets. No other outboard has one, gas or electric.
The most common type of torque limiter to prevent or limit damage is a
shear pin through the prop shaft and hub. But, replacing a shear pin,
which you must do before continuing your journey, is difficult
particularly if you are on the water, and how do you get to shore with
no propulsion? Talking about convenience! The slip clutch is now an
option, but we are going to make it standard soon."

http://www.bassfishingnetwork.com/articles/phelix.html
"I spent the summer working on an electric drive fishing boat. "
"I have a friend who runs an electric boat with three 50lb 12v motors
with good results."

http://www.electriclaunch.com/outboards.htm
ELCO PT Electric Outboard Motor

"Elco uses a custom designed permanent magnet motor and a Pulse Width
modulated speed controller in its PT Electric Outboard Motor. This
combination provides continuously variable speeds and the highest
efficiency in battery usage.

Output Power
The Elco PT is available in a single configuration: 48 Volts producing
5 HP at 90 Amps.
The PT is equivalent in effective output to 12 to 15 HP gasoline
outboard engines. "

"Run Times
Run times are determined by the size of the battery bank and by the
current draw of the motor. Run times are approximate based on full and
half speed settings:
48 Volt 250 Ampere Hour Battery:
2.25 Hours at 75 Amps
26 Hours at 11 Amps"

http://www.electriclaunch.com/hybrid.htm

http://www.mindspring.com/~jimkerr1/sebebts.htm
"Welcome to the Electric Boat Website. Enjoy your exploration of the
fascinating world of electric boats."

http://www.electricboats.org/articles.htm
The Submersible Electric Motor
Highly recommended read

http://www.outboardelectric.org/
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/mainpage.php?id=5
Marine and RV Parts Catalog

http://www.electric-boat-association.../technical.htm

http://www.mindspring.com/~jimkerr1/sebc&t.htm
"Sailboat outboard bracket or well instalation. This works on a broad
range of sailboat sizes. Submersibles such as the 107 and 130 lb
thrust motors should be able to power 1500 lb and 2000 lb boats
respectively and provide near hull speed. Larger outboards should work
on larger boats. Contact the motor vendors for guidance in this area."

"There are now some larger sized permanent magnet motor available at
reasonable cost (E-Tek motor) and a brushless PMDC motor with has
become available (www.ecycle.com). This 6 - 15 volt brushless motor is
direct drive at about 1000 rpm and will charge batteries (somewhat)
automatically under sail. Prop diameter should be as large as you have
room for and your tolerance for boat draft allows, as the efficiency
(thus range) increases rapidly with increases with propeller diameter.
Common sizes are 14 and 16 inches in diameter."

http://www.ecycle.com/
http://www.psnw.com/~jmrudholm/etekoutboard.html
Etek Electric Outboard Motor Project
"The heart of the electric outboard is going to be the new Briggs &
Stratton Etek DC permanent magnet motor, This thing is rated at a
maximum of 15 horsepower and a continuous rating of 8 horsepower. All
this power is in a package that only weighs 21 lbs. "
http://www.ecycle.com/motorgenerator/CMG.htm
CMG Silicon Series Brushless Motor/Generator
http://www.cloudelectric.com/categor...?UCIDs=1321273
Catalog

http://www.electriclaunch.com/upgrades.htm
Electric Upgrade of a 26 ft. 1980 Alerion Sloop

http://www.boatingonthehudson.com/currentissue/elco.php
"Likely candidates for “upgrades” include:
1. Displacement hull boats including sailboats from 16 ft. to 35 ft,
gasoline powered launches 16 ft and over and trawler style boats 16
ft. and over"
"Transmission of the motor output to the prop shaft is by direct
drive, belt drive, or through a gear box. The belt drive arrangement
has proven to be the most flexible where the boat performance can be
fine tuned by changing the size of the belt sheaves without the need
to change the pitch or diameter of the propeller."

http://www.amemco.com/
Welcome to the dawn of a new marine propulsion system for the new
millennium!

http://www.econogics.com/ev/evboats.htm
Electric Boats and Outboards
Last updated 2005.04.16

http://www.members.cox.net/rdoctors/boatmotors.html
ELECTRIC DRIVE FOR BOATS
Here's part of a email "conversation" that Mr. Motorman had with a
sailing boat owner who is interested in electric drive
"Recharging while sailing is a great idea and the controller for a
brushless DC motor can be designed to do this automatically."
XXXXXXXXXXX
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/columb.../message/35923
"Sundance's Electric Drive
Describe the boat:
A 1968 Columbia 36 with a family of three living aboard and cruising
full time on the Pacific Coast of USA.
Describe the system:

36 Volt DC electric drive. Consisting of:
One Advanced DC Model A 89 electric motor rated at about 4 kW
One Lester Electric Company 36 Volt battery charger rated at
25 Amps
One Curtis 1204 DC motor Controller
One bank of 36 Volt power, consisting of six Trojan T-105
6Volt golf cart batteries, each holding 220 Amp hours of "juice""
XXXXXXXXXX VERY GOOD AND PRACTICAL INFO.

http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/DIYP/prolinks/starob.html
" this outboard bracket safely supports engines up to 9.9hp"

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/specia...tricdrive.html
http://shop.glenl.com/browse.cfm/2,358.html
an electric drive system you can make yourself

http://www.peltzer.net/ebike/
My Electric Bicycle Project
http://electric-bicycle-experiments.com/

http://www.solomontechnologies.com/

Glenn Ashmore

Except for a large day sailer they are not ready for prime time yet. Last
season one of the larger charter companies took delivery on 5 or 6 electric
powered catamarans. All had been refitted with standard diesels within 6
months.

They are OK for getting to and from the dock but not for getting from one
place to another when the wind has died.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Mic" wrote in message
[...]

Meye5

Mic you sound like one of those ****heads who was ready for a electric
car in the 70's. and would buy one . use a proper gas or diesel engine
and leave the fantasizing to engineers . then buy it if it works after
its been out for a few years. good god!!!!!!!!!

Terry Spragg

Mic wrote:
I like the concept of electric drive for a sailboat. snip
http://www.solomontechnologies.com/

I love it! Seems priced too high, but haven't finished reading yet.
Same electric wheel style "stepper motor" as the Eliica car? 11
magnet / 12 coil type design?

Magnetically shielded? What frequency chopper-offers at max rpm?
what about coil kickback voltage spikes when accellerating? Are
they "scavenged?"

How heavy, with a 2 hp genny and a small battery for daysailing a
29' to a mooring?

Also, I want a backwards tricycle 2 seat lawn chair "car" for town
commutes. One power wheel / brake at the rear. Canvas covers for the
rain. Snow tires and a skidoo suit might do for all year. All we
need now is electric shingles and repairable hi voltage battery
packs, complete with a recycling system for tired batteries. Might
even add a liquid nitrogen rechargable air conditioner good enough
for the week or so of really hot weather we get, with gps map-phone
and Ipod.

Foot your shok! shakin' you yet, elbonia? The answer to underpricing
gasoline is to not use it.

Oil is too valuable, too dirty to burn.

Terry K

Mic

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:02:50 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

http://www.ozecodrive.com/OZecoDrive...oDriveEng.html

http://www.ozecodrive.com/OZecoDrive...idor/ekor.html

An electric motor for your yacht which re-charges batteries via the
propeller

Welcome to a new world where a boat can sail without wind, where a
motor can be under full power without sound, odours or fumes. A world
where the motor is as big as a frying pan and yet goes to full power
in two seconds.

OZecoDrive is an electrical propulsion system with unique
characteristics that enable a boat to be self-sufficient in energy.

http://www.ozecodrive.com/OZecoDrive.../eperform.html

Performance

OZ Electric Motor
A permanent magnet motor 24v DC at 2 kw, 4 kw alt. 5 kw with 82 –93%
efficiency both as generator and motor.

The motor is of the "pancake" type with axially placed magnets and 8
brushes.
Motor speed is approx. 50RPM/volt and virtually independent of

Weight 10kg.

Diameter 225mm x 140mm long.

Low noise motor.

Electric forward and reverse. Reversible pole motor.

From standing start to full power in 2 seconds. From full power
forward to maximum braking power in reverse in 4 seconds.

Total Weight of OZecoDrive with charger and shore power is 42kg.

OZecoDrive is built for boats up to 3 tons.

OZecoDrive-Duo is specially designed for larger boats up up five tons.
This variation consists of two closely mounted drive trains (C-C
400mm) and two

1965 Allied Seabreeze sloop Larry Greenwood ASA 2 March 3rd 05 12:20 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
'Lectric boats Gould 0738 General 1 July 28th 04 01:55 PM
Electric Propulsion Paul Squire Boat Building 19 September 18th 03 10:43 PM