Larry Greenwood

Default 1965 Allied Seabreeze sloop

no pics!

larry
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
news
http://www.hernandotoday.com/MGBIC1MER5E.html
HERNANDO BEACH - The ocean runs wild in Larry Link's blood.
Link stands in the Sterling Marina and gazes affectionately at his 1965
Allied Seabreeze sloop, hull number 33.
"I saw her sitting in the water and went up and put my hands on her," Link
says with his South Carolinian drawl. "And she said, 'It's me.'"
It was a brush with destiny two-and-a-half years ago that Link purchased
"Walela" and set upon the monumental task of refurbishing the

long-neglected
classic sailing vessel.
Walela's restoration was far from an amateur project. She underwent a
complete cosmetic overhaul, along with a host of mechanical and electrical
repairs, aimed at making the once great boat spectacular.
Link picks up a clear, plastic sleeve that is filled with photographs of
varying sizes.
These photographs show Walela when he first acquired her.
"She was in pretty bad shape when I got her," Link says as he thumbs

through
the photos, showing Walela's paint flaked, the teak wood trim dull and
lifeless, and the bronze pieces corroded beyond recognition.
The then 38-year-old boat had been grossly weathered by the elements.
No project, however, is too great for Link.
Cosmetically, Walela is almost unrecognizable from the early photographs.
Now, the sea vessel shines and gleams in the Hernando County sun like the
ocean itself.
"I believe she needs to look as good coming as she does going," Link says

as
he gestures toward the front and back of the boat.
The paint is new and glossy, the detailing is flawless and bold and the
freshly sanded and varnished Burma Teak wood accents give the boat a truly
classic appearance.
"All this teak came with the boat," Link says. "You can't find stuff like
this without paying a huge price."
Walela's improvements are not just skin deep. Link shimmies up a ladder

and
proudly whips open a door revealing a large, bright red engine: the heart
beat of the boat.
Like a proud parent, Link explains the boat's internal improvements: a

more
powerful motor, restructured exhaust system, new steering chains and new
wires and cables all combine to make Walela sea ready.
When Link saw Walela he knew she was a diamond in the rough.
The Allied Seabreeze sloop is a finely crafted vessel that, back in its
heyday, was top of the line.
"When the Allied Seabreeze was built, it was built as a race cruiser,"

Link
says. "It was top of the line, better than a Hinckley."
Only 135 Allied Seabreeze vessels were made between 1963 and 1973, of

which
133 remain sprinkled across the globe.
"She is 35 feet but is very petite for her size," he says. "This is a true
sailing vessel. I have never been on a smoother sailing boat."
Link says each Allied Seabreeze was hand-constructed and took between

three
and five months to complete.
Occasionally while working on Walela, Link would find names scrawled on
inner boards: the craftsmen took such pride in their work that they would
leave their signatures buried deep in the bowels of the boat.
"Why this boat?" Link asks. "You can put this boat in the water and the
whole world is ahead of you. You don't need fuel; you can catch fish to

eat.
The wind carries you. There is nothing else on earth that you can do that
with."

Living the dream

For the past 56 years, since the day he took his first breath of air, the
ocean and its vessels have been an integral part of Link's life.
Born and raised on the coast of South Carolina, Link started working

beside
his father at the age of 6.
"My father built boats," Link says. "I remember putting in screws, sanding
and painting boats with him."
After graduating high school, Link joined the U.S. Navy where he continued
his passion for the sea.
Then during the summer of 1971 Link retired from the armed forces and

moved
to the Tampa Bay area.
"I worked construction for a while and then became yard manager for

Cruising
World in St. Petersburg," Link says.
Shortly after, Link began what would become a lifelong job in boat repair
and refurbishing.
While working on Walela, Link completed 10 other boats. Presently he is
dividing his time between Walela and two other boats, he says as he points
across the yard toward two larger vessels.
"This is what I have done all my life," Link says as he gazes out across

the
marina. "Will I ever retire? Never."
In just a matter of weeks Link and his family will take Walela out to sea
for the first time in more than two years.
Link said he has never sailed Walela, although he has sailed other Allied
Seabreeze boats.
He stands proudly atop Walela's deck and looks towards the Gulf. After

more
than 2,000 hours of labor, Walela is almost ready to again sail the Gulf

of
Mexico.
"She is truly an amazing boat. I hope to take her out in two weeks," he
says. "We will toast the occasion with sailing and a few beers. I am not a
Champagne kind of guy."

--

jlrogers±³©
Beaten by George W. Bush! Now that's funny!

John Cairns

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
news
http://www.hernandotoday.com/MGBIC1MER5E.html
HERNANDO BEACH - The ocean runs wild in Larry Link's blood.
Link stands in the Sterling Marina and gazes affectionately at his 1965
Allied Seabreeze sloop, hull number 33.
The Allied Seabreeze sloop is a finely crafted vessel that, back in its

heyday, was top of the line.
"When the Allied Seabreeze was built, it was built as a race cruiser,"
Link
says. "It was top of the line, better than a Hinckley."
jlrogers±³©

Beaten by George W. Bush! Now that's funny!

Better than a Hinckley?
Bwahahahhahahhahhahahaha.

John Cairns