Capt. Neal®

Default Just what don't you little Ellen supporters understand . . .

Just what don't you little Ellen supporters understand
about the first part of the following COLREG Rule?

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing . . .

Folks, even the most ignorant among you cannot
claim you do not know what the words "sight" and
"hearing" mean.

Check out what Merriam Webster has to say about
it.

sight \"sït\ n 1 : something seen or worth seeing
2 : the process or power of seeing; esp : the sense
of which the eye is the receptor and by which
qualities of appearance (as position, shape, and color)
are perceived 3 : inspection 4 : a device (as a small
bead on a gun barrel) that aids the eye in aiming
5 : view, glimpse 6 : the range of vision - sight.less adj

hear.ing n 1 : the process, function, or power of
perceiving sound; esp : the special sense by which
noises and tones are received as stimuli 2 : earshot
3 : opportunity to be heard 4 : a listening to arguments
(as in a court); also : a session of (as of a legislative
committee) in which testimony is taken from witnesses

© 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster
Dictionary © 1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

"At all times" means at all times. It means if Ellen is
sleeping she is failing to comply with Rule 5. In order
to be legal there needs to be a human being seeing
AND hearing at all times. This means Rule 5 states
ANY long-distance race where solo skipper sleeps
is in violation of the rule and an illegal enterprise.

Those of you who argue that it only becomes illegal
if Ellen has a collision argue falsely.

Legal and responsible racing cannot include long-distance
solo sailing racing by definition. Neither little Ellen nor
anybody else is capable of sight or hearing while they
are asleep, exhausted below in a speeding sailboat.

Ellen is a whore because she gets paid and has a whole
team pimping her engaging in an illegal activity. It's about
time real sailors stopped supporting this illegal activity
which is detrimental and dangerous to sailors everywhere.

I certainly will not identify with, worship or give kudos
to any law breaker. Until such time as little Ellen operates
legally, I will continue to call a spade a spade. The only
record she has broken, in my opinion, is 71 days in violation
of Rule 5. It does not matter how much or what kind of
electronic measures her boat employs. Unless she stays
awake and maintains a look-out by sight and hearing
twenty-four hours a day, she is operating illegally.

Ellen is a lawbreaker by law and by her own admission.

Those who support little Ellen support law breaking. You
cannot argue otherwise intelligently. Every argument you
attempt to employ will be shot down by the simplicity and
explicitness of Rule 5.

Captain Neal Warren
USCG Licensed U.S. Merchant Marine Officer
ser.# 1045941
--- Safety at sea is no accident.

Dan

Capt. Neal=AE wrote:
Just what don't you little Ellen supporters understand
about the first part of the following COLREG Rule?

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing . . .

Spot the newly qualified dayskipper!

Most people ignore bits of the Col Regs[1].

Just relax.

[1] and plenty of the Highway code to boot.

Capt. Neal®

"Dan" wrote in message oups.com...
Capt. Neal® wrote:
Just what don't you little Ellen supporters understand
about the first part of the following COLREG Rule?

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing . . .

Spot the newly qualified dayskipper!

Most people ignore bits of the Col Regs[1].

Just relax.

[1] and plenty of the Highway code to boot.

*************************************

Are you saying you have to be caught breaking the
law before you are actually breaking the law?

I think not!

CN

Dan

Capt. Neal=AE wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message

Are you saying you have to be caught breaking the
law before you are actually breaking the law?

I think not!

You think right!

I'm saying there are thing I choose to ignore. Eg:

Col Regs: Motorsailing Triangle

Highway code: Wearing a fluresent Jacket as a pedestrian.

I've slept for 15 mins when sailing alone, we all have. You'd be
inhuman not to.

Dan

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:06:19 -0500, Capt. Neal=AE

For the rest of us, "maintaining a proper watch at all times" may
legally consist of physically taking a look and listen every 30
minutes, every 20 seconds, or every 4 hours, depending on the

specific
circumstances.

You got a source somewhere that demonstrates that a lookout every 4
hours meets the 'lookout at all times' in this first rule?

Joe

Your a dunce BBob. A 4 hour break would not be legal. And your to dumb
to know why.

Joe

Neal wrote:

Legal and responsible racing cannot include long-distance
solo sailing racing by definition. Neither little Ellen nor
anybody else is capable of sight or hearing while they
are asleep, exhausted below in a speeding sailboat.

***********

So accept her feat for what it was: a marvelous stunt.

Much like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. Many people have tried
it, and some have survived the attempt to become the home town hero for
a week or two.There's no doubt it requires courage beyond what most
people could muster- but it doesn't make the activity either useful or
well advised and certainly should not serve as an inspiration for every
yahoo along the river who just happens to own a barrel.

Ellen displayed a lot of guts to undertake her stunt, and no small
amount of fortitude to complete it. Her sponsors will undoubtedly
receive satisfactory returns on their investments as every bit of gear
that was aboard that boat will now be marketed with a burst on the
packaging, "Broke the solo circumnavigation record with Ellen!"
(actually, "broke" is a negative word in marketing, will probably say
"set").

We marvel at her accomplishment because most of us realize that we
would be unlikely to attempt anything similar. Some will even say, "I'm
brave enough, and fit enough, and sailor enough to do that well or
better- but I'm too fricking smart to try"....sure.

She did a remarkable thing, but like those previously engaged in the
same activity she was perfroming a stunt moreso than completing a
voyage.

Dan

On 8 Feb 2005 08:55:34 -0800, "Dan"

The Colregs do not specify exactly what you have to do to maintain a
proper watch at all times. That is purposely left for a court to
adjucate on a case by case basis.

In that case there must be some prior cases.

I'm not disagreeing. I just want some evidence.

Bobsprit

Just what don't you little Ellen supporters understand
about the first part of the following COLREG Rule?

So this negates ALL solo records. Right, Neal???

Bwahahahaha! Busted again!

RB