*JimH*

Default Marine/RV engine antifreeze

I posted this at the other boating NG and it was never answered (the first
post to the thread was a flame....go figure). :-)

So I will give this NG a go.

In the past when I had twin drives I had the marina complete all my
winterizing, including engine. I now have a single drive and am giving it
a go myself this
year, including the lower IO unit and engine.

A question:

Is regular automotive type antifreeze (e.g. Prestone) better for the engine
than the colored stuff sold at boat and RV stores (such as
http://tinyurl.com/cpfbn ).

I realize that the automotive type is not environmentally friendly and if
used I would address that issue when starting up the engine in Spring.

TIA for your help. ;-)

Roger Long

"Harry Krause" wrote

"What you need is an antifreeze based on propylene glycol instead of
ethylene glycol.

You should probably plan on replacing the water pump impeller in the
spring if you use this stuff and be sure there are no other gaskets or
parts of similar material that it might not be feasible to replace.

--

Roger Long

*JimH*

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Harry Krause" wrote

"What you need is an antifreeze based on propylene glycol instead of
ethylene glycol.

You should probably plan on replacing the water pump impeller in the
spring if you use this stuff and be sure there are no other gaskets or
parts of similar material that it might not be feasible to replace.

--

Roger Long

So is the automotive type ethylene glycol based what you recommend Roger?

Roger Long

"*JimH*" wrote

So is the automotive type ethylene glycol based what you recommend
Roger?

That is not a recommendation but a "fact" passed on from Nigle Calder
who has been wrong about some things but less than most of us when it
comes to boat systems.

--

Roger Long

*JimH*

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"*JimH*" wrote

So is the automotive type ethylene glycol based what you recommend Roger?

That is not a recommendation but a "fact" passed on from Nigle Calder who
has been wrong about some things but less than most of us when it comes to
boat systems.

--

Roger Long

Thanks Roger.

Does Nigle Calder have experience with gasoline engines? I see he is an
accomplished sailor and has published a few books on cruising and diesel
engines, but nothing on gasoline engines.

Roger Long

I don't know but I suspect he is familiar with gas.

--

Roger Long

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"*JimH*" wrote

So is the automotive type ethylene glycol based what you recommend
Roger?

That is not a recommendation but a "fact" passed on from Nigle
Calder who has been wrong about some things but less than most of
us when it comes to boat systems.

--

Roger Long

Thanks Roger.

Does Nigle Calder have experience with gasoline engines? I see he
is an accomplished sailor and has published a few books on cruising
and diesel engines, but nothing on gasoline engines.

Boots

Use auto/antifreeze at 50/50 mix. Capt. boots
"Roger Long" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know but I suspect he is familiar with gas.

--

Roger Long

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"*JimH*" wrote

So is the automotive type ethylene glycol based what you

recommend
Roger?

That is not a recommendation but a "fact" passed on from

Nigle
Calder who has been wrong about some things but less than

most of
us when it comes to boat systems.

--

Roger Long

Thanks Roger.

Does Nigle Calder have experience with gasoline engines?

I see he
is an accomplished sailor and has published a few books on

cruising
and diesel engines, but nothing on gasoline engines.

Marine Engine Antifreeze *JimH* General 9 September 22nd 05 03:16 PM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM