Moores family

Default Neat Masthead Wiring Ideas

G'day
I've got the masts out of Tropic Bird (H28) to re-varnish the main and
I'll be changing a few things around when they go back in. There's a
single cable up the main for the steaming light, originally run up
beside the track with cable clips and wasn't too obvious, so I'll
probably just put it back that way unless anyone has a better idea.

I'll be putting the VHF aerial and an anchor light at the top of the
mizzen, so I need 2 cables. The mizzen uses a bolt rope, so there's no
track to hide it beside. I've been wracking my brains to think of a
neat way to make them less obvious, perhaps an oval conduit. I don't
want to compromise the integrity of the mast, so drilling holes and
trying to fish a draw wire through isn't an option.
Any ideas?
Thanks
JM

Jonathan Wye

If you have a clear run (i.e., you actually can run a snake from step to
tip of mast) can you come up directly under the center of the mast and
run up to the top?

I realize I am assuming deck stepped which is probably not accurate....

I acquired a 30 ft wooden sloop years ago that had the VHF antenna wire
taped to the backstay and entering the boat at the stern, running up to
the radio. No one ever commented on it, and it worked. Periodically I
would renew the black tape. It was better IMHO than having a bunch of
little screw or nail holes holding conduit going up the mast and
disturbing the continuity of the varnish layer.

good luck,

Jonathan

Moores family wrote:

[...]

Steve

"Jonathan Wye" wrote in message
If you have a clear run (i.e., you actually can run a snake from step to
tip of mast) can you come up directly under the center of the mast and run
up to the top?

In my experience with hollow wooden masts, there are usually wooden filler
blocks in the area of the spreaders, tangs and goose neck. If so, the
original mast wiring is run while building or a wire or cord is installed
during the building process to pull the wires in. If already have internal
wiring and are upgrading, you might be able to pull in the new with the old.
However, you may be limited to the size of the OEM bundle of wires since the
builder most likely limited the size of the hole in the filler blocks.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

Moores family

Steve wrote:

"Jonathan Wye" wrote in message

If you have a clear run (i.e., you actually can run a snake from step to
tip of mast) can you come up directly under the center of the mast and run
up to the top?

In my experience with hollow wooden masts, there are usually wooden filler
blocks in the area of the spreaders, tangs and goose neck. If so, the
original mast wiring is run while building or a wire or cord is installed
during the building process to pull the wires in. If already have internal
wiring and are upgrading, you might be able to pull in the new with the old.
However, you may be limited to the size of the OEM bundle of wires since the
builder most likely limited the size of the hole in the filler blocks.

Picked it one, Steve, I know there are filler blocks because I helped
build the mast 36 years ago. I don't recall what went in in the way of
wiring at the time, being the mizzen probably nothing. If there was
then I've certainly got no idea what's happened to it in the last 30
years. If I'm very lucky there may be enough room inside the track to
slip in a small conduit but I really doubt it.
JM

Moores family

G'day
The existing VHF cable run was up the starboard main shroud in UR67 and
it looked 'orrible, especially when half the tape was falling off. One
of my options is to do the same on the mizzen, but I'll use smaller
diameter coax- VHF performance isn't a problem. I guess if I run VHF up
one side and riding light up the other it would at least be symmetrical.
Thanks
JM
Jonathan Wye wrote:
If you have a clear run (i.e., you actually can run a snake from step to
tip of mast) can you come up directly under the center of the mast and
run up to the top?

I realize I am assuming deck stepped which is probably not accurate....

I acquired a 30 ft wooden sloop years ago that had the VHF antenna wire
taped to the backstay and entering the boat at the stern, running up to
the radio. No one ever commented on it, and it worked. Periodically I
would renew the black tape. It was better IMHO than having a bunch of
little screw or nail holes holding conduit going up the mast and
disturbing the continuity of the varnish layer.

good luck,

Jonathan

Moores family

----------------^

^
| I realize I am assuming deck stepped which is probably not accurate....
|
| I acquired a 30 ft wooden sloop years ago that had the VHF antenna
| wire taped to the backstay and entering the boat at the stern, running
| up to the radio. No one ever commented on it, and it worked.
| Periodically I would renew the black tape. It was better IMHO than
^ having a bunch of little screw or nail holes holding conduit going up
| the mast and disturbing the continuity of the varnish layer.
|
| good luck,
|
| Jonathan

^
Bugger- I don't know how that ended up up there...^