Ed Mitchell

Default Thoughts on trailering vs. dry storage?

I have a 2004 Chaparral Signature 260. When I bought it I did not get a
trailer because I thought it would be more convenient to keep it near my
home (Jacksonville, FL) in a dry storage facility. Now, a year into it, I'm
wondering if I'd rather have the boat on a trailer. The upside of the
storage is convenience. The downside(s) are cost ($260 per month) plus more
expensive fuel at the marina and the fact that my boat exterior is always
filthy from the bugs and birds that inhabit the warehouse. I'm thinking of
buying a trailer for a few reasons. One is cost; I own a warehouse where I
can store it indoors and it would stay clean and I could purchase slightly
cheaper fuel (atleast on the initial fill ups). Two is that I sometimes
want to go to the gulf or other rivers that are not accessible to me
otherwise. The negative of the trailer would be the inconvenience of
launching the boat. I belong to a club where I can keep the boat at the
dock all weekend if I choose to so I could conceivably launch it on Friday
and pull it out on Monday. I'm wondering if any of you trailer your boats
and what you think the upside/downsides are. I should mention that I have a
3/4 ton diesel truck that should pull a trailer without too much trouble.
Thanks in advance.

Ed

Don White

Ed Mitchell wrote:
[...]

With a sailboat the size of mine..no question. (5.65 meters or 18.5
feet) Gotta love the convience of working on it right in your driveway
and it doesn't cost you a cent sitting there.
Ratchet

I've been trailering for about 13 years now. Currently a 1999 Four Winns
278. I wouldn't want to leave it in a marina. I calculate that it takes alot
less time to launch than it takes to clean. I keep it stored inside out of
the sun, out of the water, no bleaching, no fender scuffing, no algae, no
bird crap. It will be pristine for a long time. I can clean and service it
(properly) on the trailer and fill it with regular fuel.

I don't think I could launch it by myself, but the bride and I have no
problem.

I'm not familiar with state laws, but here in Ontario I had to upgrade my DL
and truck for the weight and get a wide load permit ( a major pain) but I
still think I'm ahead and don't have to see the same scenery every ride.

Enjoy,

Ratchet

. ..