Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Matteo

Default Alternative to starter replacement

Hi,

I just "discovered" that the starter on our Deutz Engine has been
installed in such a way that it requires extensive disassembly
(removing the oil pan for example) in order to be pulled out in case
it need to be replaced.

On top of this, it weights 50 pounds (the starter is a Bosch 24V 6PS
monster) and I'm not sure to be able to do the job myself if needed.

The starter still works - and i have a replacement.

But i would prefer to have an alternate way to start the engine (the
main reason is, imagine you are anchored somewhere and the weather
turns bad. Now your starter does not work ... try to be calm and start
dismantling half the engine and at the same time keep an eye on the
weather).

Which way to go ? I have space in front of the engine and access to
the shaft. First thing would be to connect a overrun clutch to the
shaft. Second thing is how to provide the turnings to the engine:

a) AC Motor with gear reduction ?
b) Hydraulic / Pneumatic / Stored Air ?
c) Manual "Spring Starter" ?
d) External Starter (like the one used on F1 cars) ?
e) Belt system on the flywheel ?

Any clue ? I can't imagine there is nothing on the market to do this -
what truckers do when their starter system fails ? Wait for the
replacement ? Or do they get a "spin" from an external starter ?

Greets
Matteo

weird starter event with lots of smoke John Smith Cruising 7 January 11th 05 08:05 PM
Marine Starter Question Tim General 0 January 8th 05 07:25 PM
Starter Search Douglas St. Clair General 5 September 28th 04 03:03 AM
115 mercury starter problem kozmo6969 General 1 June 8th 04 02:57 PM
Replaced starter (now clicking) Matt General 13 September 28th 03 09:18 AM