Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Douglas St. Clair

Default Starter Search

My starter died - so I went to AutoZone to get a new one. I had them
cross-reference a 68 Mustang, since it had the comparable 427 engine. I
installed it yesterday, and the thing turned beautifully.

This morning I tried to fire it up, and gas came spewing out of the carb.
Hmmm... that was strange. I've been meaning to rebuild the carb, so what
the heck. Off to AutoZone for a carb kit. Finished rebuilding the carb
about 30 minutes ago, and tried starting it again. Nope.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! The marine 427 is Right-Hand rotation. The starter
is spinning the wrong freakin way! Hope I didn't do any damage, I can't
imagine opposite rotation would.

Now the question... anybody know a good source for finding a starter part #?
Here's what I know about the engine - it's a Ford block, 427, and the
service manual refers to it as "Interceptor / Eaton Marine Division". The
wrong rotation starter cost only $35. Something tells me a "marine" (aka
opposite rotation) is going to be a little more...

Lesson learned -
Doug