John Smith

Default weird starter event with lots of smoke

The starter for my Yanmar 2gm was rebuilt a short time ago and it worked
fine the first few times. Today I tried to start and the engine turned
over a few times and stopped. I hit the solenoid a couple more times
and quit. Starter couldn't have been energized more than 5 seconds
total. I looked around and smelled smoke. Pulled the engine cowling and
found the bilge, 4 foot deep, full of heavy smoke. Cut all power of
course. Starter was very hot. Found a small puddle of waxy looking
stuff under a weep hole in the starter. Apparently this stuff that oozed
out of the starter was related to that smoke, it smelled like it.

Can someone give me a clue as to what this stuff is and what the heck
happened? I'm taking the starter back to the rebuild place but there's
no telling what they will tell me. Thanks.
Keith

Have you tried to manually turn the engine over with a bar? One of two
things... the starter was poorly rebuilt and shorted out (best) or your
engine has seized up or the cylinders are full of water (bad).

--

Keith
__
"John Smith" wrote in message
The starter for my Yanmar 2gm was rebuilt a short time ago and it worked
fine the first few times. Today I tried to start and the engine turned
over a few times and stopped. I hit the solenoid a couple more times and
quit. Starter couldn't have been energized more than 5 seconds total. I
looked around and smelled smoke. Pulled the engine cowling and found the
bilge, 4 foot deep, full of heavy smoke. Cut all power of course.
Starter was very hot. Found a small puddle of waxy looking stuff under a
weep hole in the starter. Apparently this stuff that oozed out of the
starter was related to that smoke, it smelled like it.

Can someone give me a clue as to what this stuff is and what the heck
happened? I'm taking the starter back to the rebuild place but there's no
telling what they will tell me. Thanks.

John Smith

Keith wrote:
Have you tried to manually turn the engine over with a bar? One of two
things... the starter was poorly rebuilt and shorted out (best) or your
engine has seized up or the cylinders are full of water (bad).

Keith, the engine turns freely with the valve releases open. It's the
starter but I've never heard about a starter smoking like this.
BSCHNAUTZ

Keith, the engine turns freely with the valve releases open. It's the
starter but I've never heard about a starter smoking like this.

probably bad field coils. grounded internally.

What is it off of?

Kieth, I can usually set you up with a BRAND NEW starter cheaper than you can
get a retread. the mark up in this stuff is ridiculous.

John Smith

BSCHNAUTZ wrote:
Keith, the engine turns freely with the valve releases open. It's the
starter but I've never heard about a starter smoking like this.

probably bad field coils. grounded internally.

What is it off of?

Kieth, I can usually set you up with a BRAND NEW starter cheaper than you can
get a retread. the mark up in this stuff is ridiculous.

It's off a Yanmar 2gm. Finally talked to the starter repair head man. He
told me he can't get Yanmar replacements for the solenoid and has to use
aftermarket stuff. Says these burn ups started last summer and I'm not
the only one getting the boat full of horrible smelling, thick smoke. I
don't know how the solenoid is gonna cause the starter itself to burn up
but he seems to think the solenoid is responsible.

So where can I get a BRAND NEW Yanmar starter for a realistic price?

Thanks

Tim

I don't think it's the aftermarket solonoid giving you problems. if it
is the solonoid itself frying out, i would say you need to talk to him
about an auxillary solonoid (relay) to put in line. what it sounds to
me like the starter solonoid isn't really getting enough current to
flow through itself and the fields and armature, so it pulles extra
current though the solonoid windings and causes them to over heat and
burn out. an aux sol put inline with the "key" switch will act like
giving the starter a full 12 volt shot (like jumping the posts with a
screwdriver) and gives the starter a bit more power and the starter
solonoid loves the extra juice.

John, I hope you got my email. there's alot of places. I'm a rebuilder
myself, and I'm not sure what starter you have. Mitsubishi? Hitachi?
Nippon/Denso???

Anyhow, depending on what part of the country you live, is what
warehouse I would recommend.

Call WRS in St. Louis 1-866-556-6441
and ask for jay, Mike or Derek

great people.

J&N Auto Electric in Cincinnatti OH

Ask for anybody but Darvin

Darvin is a nice guy but new to sales and way slow.

1-800-366-7100

if you can't get any satisfaction e-mail me and I'll help you in any
way I can.

Tim

Tim

I called J&N in cincinnatti OH today, and they quoted me a price on a
BRAND NEW HITACHI starter for your Yanmar 2-GM

Part Number: S114-303-A

My cost (jobber) is $152.00 + shipping.

That's about as whosale as you can get.

If you wish to get this starter you need a tax number and call
J&N Auto Electric

1-800-366-7100

Good Luck.

Tim

Tim

Cut all power of
course. Starter was very hot. Found a small puddle of waxy looking
stuff under a weep hole in the starter. Apparently this stuff that
oozed
out of the starter was related to that smoke, it smelled like it.

Can someone give me a clue as to what this stuff is and what the heck
happened? I'm taking the starter back to the rebuild place but there's
no telling what they will tell me. Thanks.
Yep, as suspected. the fields are burned out.