John Smith

BSCHNAUTZ wrote:
Keith, the engine turns freely with the valve releases open. It's the
starter but I've never heard about a starter smoking like this.

probably bad field coils. grounded internally.

What is it off of?

Kieth, I can usually set you up with a BRAND NEW starter cheaper than you can
get a retread. the mark up in this stuff is ridiculous.

It's off a Yanmar 2gm. Finally talked to the starter repair head man. He
told me he can't get Yanmar replacements for the solenoid and has to use
aftermarket stuff. Says these burn ups started last summer and I'm not
the only one getting the boat full of horrible smelling, thick smoke. I
don't know how the solenoid is gonna cause the starter itself to burn up
but he seems to think the solenoid is responsible.

So where can I get a BRAND NEW Yanmar starter for a realistic price?

Thanks