Mic

Default StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques

StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques

http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archiv...s/storage.html

"King StarBoard is an extremely versatile material. Strong,
lightweight, never splits or warps and completely maintenance-free,
there are few wooden items on board that can't be replaced with
StarBoard. Working with it is easy, certainly no more difficult than
wood, using wood fabricating techniques and tools."

Humm.....just wondering would starboard work for a bulkhead
replacement??? And if so anything else that should be considered?

TIA
Glenn Ashmore

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not structural.
If the span gets to wide they sag. A bukkhead would be very expensive and
not all that strong. I built a large hatch (18x34") to go between the
forward head and the sail locker out of some 3/4" Starboard. Had to add
ribs to the back side to make it stiff enough.

I used 3M DP-8005 adheasive. Expensive but far better than 5200 and you
only use a tiny bead of it so there is little if any squeeze out.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Mic" wrote in message
StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques

http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archiv...s/storage.html

"King StarBoard is an extremely versatile material. Strong,
lightweight, never splits or warps and completely maintenance-free,
there are few wooden items on board that can't be replaced with
StarBoard. Working with it is easy, certainly no more difficult than
wood, using wood fabricating techniques and tools."

Humm.....just wondering would starboard work for a bulkhead
replacement??? And if so anything else that should be considered?

TIA

Mic

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:17:28 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not structural.
If the span gets to wide they sag. A bukkhead would be very expensive and
not all that strong. I built a large hatch (18x34") to go between the
forward head and the sail locker out of some 3/4" Starboard. Had to add
ribs to the back side to make it stiff enough.

I used 3M DP-8005 adheasive. Expensive but far better than 5200 and you
only use a tiny bead of it so there is little if any squeeze out.

I sort of figured that it would not be sufficient.

What is your opinion of using this material as "backing plates" for
stantions, and through hull seacocks? I have seen it used, but that
doesnt it is preferrable.

Thanks.
Glenn Ashmore

Definitely do not use Starboard for backing plates. It will deform under
the constant pressure and everything will loosen up. 1/4" 5083 aluminum
plate is much better for backing plates and much cheaper too.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not structural.

They used it to hang the bow CQRarrrgghhh.