Glenn Ashmore

Definitely do not use Starboard for backing plates. It will deform under
the constant pressure and everything will loosen up. 1/4" 5083 aluminum
plate is much better for backing plates and much cheaper too.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Mic" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:17:28 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not
structural.
If the span gets to wide they sag. A bukkhead would be very expensive and
not all that strong. I built a large hatch (18x34") to go between the
forward head and the sail locker out of some 3/4" Starboard. Had to add
ribs to the back side to make it stiff enough.

I used 3M DP-8005 adheasive. Expensive but far better than 5200 and you
only use a tiny bead of it so there is little if any squeeze out.

I sort of figured that it would not be sufficient.

What is your opinion of using this material as "backing plates" for
stantions, and through hull seacocks? I have seen it used, but that
doesnt it is preferrable.

Thanks.