BoatBanter.com

-   -   StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/45195-starboard-projects-fabrication-techniques.html)

Mic June 22nd 05 04:43 AM

StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques

StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques

http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archiv...s/storage.html

"King StarBoard is an extremely versatile material. Strong,
lightweight, never splits or warps and completely maintenance-free,
there are few wooden items on board that can't be replaced with
StarBoard. Working with it is easy, certainly no more difficult than
wood, using wood fabricating techniques and tools."

Humm.....just wondering would starboard work for a bulkhead
replacement??? And if so anything else that should be considered?

TIA

Glenn Ashmore June 22nd 05 01:17 PM

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not structural.
If the span gets to wide they sag. A bukkhead would be very expensive and
not all that strong. I built a large hatch (18x34") to go between the
forward head and the sail locker out of some 3/4" Starboard. Had to add
ribs to the back side to make it stiff enough.

I used 3M DP-8005 adheasive. Expensive but far better than 5200 and you
only use a tiny bead of it so there is little if any squeeze out.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Mic June 22nd 05 01:55 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:17:28 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not structural.
If the span gets to wide they sag. A bukkhead would be very expensive and
not all that strong. I built a large hatch (18x34") to go between the
forward head and the sail locker out of some 3/4" Starboard. Had to add
ribs to the back side to make it stiff enough.

I used 3M DP-8005 adheasive. Expensive but far better than 5200 and you
only use a tiny bead of it so there is little if any squeeze out.

I sort of figured that it would not be sufficient.

What is your opinion of using this material as "backing plates" for
stantions, and through hull seacocks? I have seen it used, but that
doesnt it is preferrable.

Thanks.

Mic June 22nd 05 02:43 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:43:50 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques

http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archiv...s/storage.html
Some more Marine Plastic LINKS:

Marine plastics and Starboard links

http://www.wps.on.ca/plastic4boats/starboard.pdf

http://www.buckwoodcraft.com/

http://www.buckwoodcraft.com/king_st...20Price%20List

http://www.buckwoodcraft.com/buckwoo...Price%20L ist

http://www.buckwoodcraft.com/dinghy_chocks.htm

http://www.desconintl.com/marine_plastics.htm

http://www.accutechplastic.com/marine.html

Offers a wide range of material

http://www.seaward.com/products/plas...ers/seatimber/

http://www.totalplastics.com/marine.htm

Glenn Ashmore June 22nd 05 08:15 PM

Definitely do not use Starboard for backing plates. It will deform under
the constant pressure and everything will loosen up. 1/4" 5083 aluminum
plate is much better for backing plates and much cheaper too.

[email protected] June 22nd 05 10:12 PM

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Starboard (and other marine polymer board like Seaboard) are not structural.

They used it to hang the bow CQRarrrgghhh.

Jere Lull June 23rd 05 05:53 AM

In article ,
(Mic) wrote:

Humm.....just wondering would starboard work for a bulkhead
replacement??? And if so anything else that should be considered?

Don't use starboard for that.

Replaced our main bulkhead last year. Tip that I appreciated getting:
Put the bulkhead up as 3 pieces: the structural member and two face
sheets if you want to clear-coat it the finish.

I've been a cabinet maker and have some tools and tricks to doing such a
job, but I would have had a lot of repair work to do later.

In our case, I used the metric equivalent of 3/4, which is a little
thin, and sheets of 3 mil "veneer". I have worked with real veneer, but
this is so much easier, I'm a convert. The only problem is that I had to
shave a couple of mm off everything that butts against the bulkhead.