krj

Frank wrote:
While we're on this topic, do you (or does anyone) know of cruising
books which are NOT written by and for the Crab Crusher Mafia? It seems
like every book I've ever read, even if recently published, starts with
a lengthy discussion about why you must have a boat with all the
characteristics I find unappealing (and often actually unsafe) in a
boat. In my universe, slow and unweatherly are not desirable qualities.

Why are all these writers still living in the 1930s? At best! The
Pardeys are true Luddites, the sailing equivalent of the Amish,
seemingly rejecting anything invented after the ninetheenth century.
And then, of course, given that kind of starting philosophy, the entire
book is slanted in a direction I don't wanna go.

I need an interesting cruising book for the Third Millennium! Ya know,
one that recognizes cutting-edge stuff, like fiberglass and aluminium.
Help!

TIA,

Frank

P.S. Speaking of keeping current, asbestos suits and tinfoil beanies
have been supplanted by nomex and titanium; so get with the program,
Doug! We're living in "the future," a world which is the realization of
the science-fiction books I read as a kid. it's really kinda cool.

What's a crab crusher?
DSK

Frank wrote:
While we're on this topic, do you (or does anyone) know of cruising
books which are NOT written by and for the Crab Crusher Mafia?

"Blue Water Handbook" by Steve Dashew... he's got a couple of other
books out too. A great cruising book ever written is 'Tinkerbelle' by
Bob Manry, not because it gives up-to-date advice but because it
describes how to overcome obstacles in practical unpretentious ways, and
because it is very inspiring.

... It seems
like every book I've ever read, even if recently published, starts with
a lengthy discussion about why you must have a boat with all the
characteristics I find unappealing (and often actually unsafe) in a
boat. In my universe, slow and unweatherly are not desirable qualities.

That's OK as long as you have plenty of baggywrinkle.

P.S. Speaking of keeping current, asbestos suits and tinfoil beanies
have been supplanted by nomex and titanium; so get with the program,
Doug! We're living in "the future," a world which is the realization of
the science-fiction books I read as a kid. it's really kinda cool.

Really? Where's the flying cars, the moon colonies, the two-way wrist
TVs? The future just hasn't been the same since they stopped putting
tail fins on cars, dammit!

DSK

DSK

krj wrote:
What's a crab crusher?

An ostentatiously heavy & old-fashioned cruising boat. It's a mild
pejorative although perhaps it should be a badge of honor for some.

DSK

Jeff

Frank wrote:
While we're on this topic, do you (or does anyone) know of cruising
books which are NOT written by and for the Crab Crusher Mafia? It seems
like every book I've ever read, even if recently published, starts with
a lengthy discussion about why you must have a boat with all the
characteristics I find unappealing (and often actually unsafe) in a
boat. In my universe, slow and unweatherly are not desirable qualities.

Guess you haven't heard of the Dashews:

http://www.setsail.com/store/catalog...red&style=2col

Why are all these writers still living in the 1930s? At best! The
Pardeys are true Luddites, the sailing equivalent of the Amish,
seemingly rejecting anything invented after the ninetheenth century.
And then, of course, given that kind of starting philosophy, the entire
book is slanted in a direction I don't wanna go.

The Pardeys set the bar rather high (or some might say rather low) but
eventually everyone has to be self-sufficient to some degree. So what
is the opposite of the Pardeys? Marina hopping with the radio tuned
to SeaTow?
Frank

Ok, Doug and Jeff, you both got me with the Dashews, and there's that
couple who sail a Beneteau First, I forget their names offhand. But
there ain't many.

Doug, Moller keeps trying to "market" his flying car; some (me, for
one) think he's just using it as a way to bilk investors; but you're
right about tailfins! And it's true that I'm still waiting for the
damned moon colony to get up and running!

Jeff, the opposite of the Pardeys is: A fiberglass boat with an
aluminium mast. An engine, so you aren't constantly begging tows, which
BTW is not exactly "self-sufficient." An engine also allows: electric
lights, refrigeration, a f*ing radio, fer gawd's sakes! Buying
ordinary, affordable, off-the-shelf winches, instead of scouring the
world to find obscure, old-fashioned (inefficient but somehow
salty-seeming) cranks. In short, being a sailor instead of a
"nostalgia-ist." Thor Heyerdahl didn't claim to be a "sailor" when he
tried to replicate crossing the ocean on his ancient-design reed boat;
he was simulating/replicating an historical event. Same for the
Pardeys.

Mic

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:17:54 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

With certain "mods" like Dave and Aja on ther 25ft Catalina did for
their circumnavagation these could be contenders.

Link:

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin133.html

" Modifying Production Boats
By Dave and Jaja

To order your copy of Dave and Jaja's new book, Into the Light: A
Family's Epic Journey, click here.

For their latest book reviews, click here.

To view a gallery of images showing DRIVER, the Martins, and their
adventures, click here.

A SetSail visitor recently asked: What modifications did Dave make to
his Cal-25 DIRECTION to prepare it for a circumnavigation? What
thought processes were involved in his decisions? In a general sense,
what should a prudent mariner look for when modifying a stock
production boat for offshore sailing?

Thought process. I chose to modify my Cal-25, DIRECTION, because it
was the only boat I could afford."
DSK

(Mic) wrote:
With certain "mods" like Dave and Aja on ther 25ft Catalina did for
their circumnavagation these could be contenders.

And if your uncle had wheels, he'd be a tea cart.

A SetSail visitor recently asked: What modifications did Dave make to
his Cal-25 DIRECTION to prepare it for a circumnavigation? What
thought processes were involved in his decisions? In a general sense,
what should a prudent mariner look for when modifying a stock
production boat for offshore sailing?

Thought process. I chose to modify my Cal-25, DIRECTION, because it
was the only boat I could afford."

Seems to me he's changed his story over the years, when he first started
getting published he admitted it was a foolish thing to do, that he'd
been headstrong instead of smart, and the he wouldn't do the same thing
over. It would have been better to put the same amount of work into
making more money to buy a better boat, but that was the boat he had and
he was emotionally attached to it.

It's interesting to read his description of the boat after almost two
years of hard sailing... clapped-out, severe oilcanning, very little
structural integrity in the fiberglass laminate of the hull itself. He
said the keel swung back & forth like the clapper of the bell.

Sounds like now that he's making money off it, he's talking a different
line. A little surprising, I've met Dave Martin when they lived in
Oriental NC and he struck me as quite a decnt type fellow.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Mic

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:15:30 -0400, DSK wrote:

(Mic) wrote:
[...]

Was that before of after the "mods"? I cant recall which magazine,
but earlier this year I was at a nautical book store and saw an
article regarding the mods that were made with a photo spread.
Amazing how after so many years it is a feature regarding boat
modifications.

Regardless I think that the suggestions and the mods he did make are
reasonable and thought out. What mods you u suggest?

Here is another like to a production boat journey.

http://members.tripod.com/~lbucko/mship.htm

"In 3,000 miles from Santa Barbara to Costa Rica you can get to know a
boat, and by that time you either hate it, tolerate it, or love it.
Fifteen years ago, I made the same trip from California to Costa Rica
in a 22' MacGregor-Venture and described it as "Sea-friendly".

http://www.mavc2002.com/caledoniayawl/aegresum.htm

"12,000 miles in a 21ft Shetland boat?

A voyage from the North of Scotland (above) to Tahiti (right) and
beyond.....

Pre GPS, email and Weatherfax, and with no engine or electrics, a
standing lug rig and flush deck giving maybe 4ft of headroom below,
this was truly minimalist sailing. But back in 1973 for my then
partner Julie (20) and myself (23), The Aegre was a ticket to a most
amazing adventure.

This is a brief account of the origins of the idea, the preparation
and the voyages. Voyages which took us from the far north of Scotland
to Madeira and the Canary Islands then on across the Atlantic to the
West Indies, across the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and half
way across the Pacific. "

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Edov/ngp/Atlantic99.html

"Since 1973 when he crossed the Atlantic in a homemade plywood sloop,
Tom has made a total of eight voyages in an assortment of tiny craft
increasing in knowledge and experience with every journey, his last
venture in 1993, saw him breaking the world record for crossing any
ocean in the smallest boat. Vera Hugh I, Pride of Merseyside measured
5 feet 4 and 1/2 inches, seven inches smaller than himself."

Sounds like now that he's making money off it, he's talking a different
line. A little surprising, I've met Dave Martin when they lived in
Oriental NC and he struck me as quite a decnt type fellow.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

Mic wrote:
Was that before of after the "mods"?

What, the keel swinging back & forth? Before. That was why he built in a
set of laminated floor members.

.. I cant recall which magazine,
but earlier this year I was at a nautical book store and saw an
article regarding the mods that were made with a photo spread.
Amazing how after so many years it is a feature regarding boat
modifications.

Regardless I think that the suggestions and the mods he did make are
reasonable and thought out. What mods you u suggest?

I think his modifications were well thought out and very professionally
(better than most "professionals" probably) executed.

The things he did that I remember are rebuilding the cockpit floor...
more critical for strength than many people realize, and i can't recall
his drain configuration but that's also important. I'm sure he made the
drains bigger & simpler & more reliable. The hatch hood is also a good
idea on a small boat intended for long passages... I don't recall if he
built it of foam core, but that could be easily done and it would add
security and increase LPOS. Building in new structure... if the boat
needs more than some re-coring and maybe some re-tabbing, I'd think
seriously about looking for a different boat. That's a LOT of work, it
raises lots of questions, usually the deeper you dig the worse it gets.

Here is another like to a production boat journey.

http://members.tripod.com/~lbucko/mship.htm

"In 3,000 miles from Santa Barbara to Costa Rica you can get to know a
boat, and by that time you either hate it, tolerate it, or love it.
Fifteen years ago, I made the same trip from California to Costa Rica
in a 22' MacGregor-Venture and described it as "Sea-friendly".

OOOW my eyeballs... I find this page extremely hard to read. Sorry. The
guys sounds like he had a fun trip though, and this should be an
eye-opener to people insisting you need a crab-crusher... you not only
don't need one, you can make the trip in the dreaded MAC-26!!

BTW we've had friends with these boats, they sail pretty well... factory
QA is all over the map... but they can be pretty nice trailerable cruisers.

http://www.mavc2002.com/caledoniayawl/aegresum.htm

"12,000 miles in a 21ft Shetland boat?

A voyage from the North of Scotland (above) to Tahiti (right) and
beyond.....

Looks interesting, I might just buy this book. I like the boat although
I wonder if he didn't think of external ballast. The positive flotation
clearly saved their bacon & this has been discussed on this NG in the
past... most people diss the idea but clearly it has it's merits!

Thanks for this link.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

John Cairns

(Mic) wrote:
[...]

I done a little blue water sailing, have figured out that if you can stay
reasonably well fed and dry, it can be a pleasant experience, even when
conditions aren't. Don't see how you can manage either of these goals on
boats of this size. Just my 2 cents.

John Cairns

Off Topic Posting Has Finally Hit Its Inevitable Bottom. Don ßćiley General 8 October 1st 11 04:39 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum Cruising 22 June 3rd 04 02:56 AM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum ASA 3 May 14th 04 04:36 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM