Rosalie B.

"Frank" wrote:

While we're on this topic, do you (or does anyone) know of cruising
books which are NOT written by and for the Crab Crusher Mafia? It seems
like every book I've ever read, even if recently published, starts with
a lengthy discussion about why you must have a boat with all the
characteristics I find unappealing (and often actually unsafe) in a
boat. In my universe, slow and unweatherly are not desirable qualities.

Why are all these writers still living in the 1930s? At best! The
Pardeys are true Luddites, the sailing equivalent of the Amish,
seemingly rejecting anything invented after the ninetheenth century.
And then, of course, given that kind of starting philosophy, the entire
book is slanted in a direction I don't wanna go.

I need an interesting cruising book for the Third Millennium! Ya know,
one that recognizes cutting-edge stuff, like fiberglass and aluminium.
Help!

Even though we don't agree with the Pardey's philosophy, they still
have some useful information in their books. Just ignore the stuff
that doesn't apply.

I also like Annie Hill "Voyaging on a Small Income" in which she
espouses the junk rig. I find the junk rig appealing to read about,
but Bob would never agree. So I just take on board the stuff that
applies. There's a couple of other women who have also written
interesting books and Don Neal has some interesting books too.

grandma Rosalie
Frank

Rosalie B. wrote:
Even though we don't agree with the Pardey's philosophy, they still
have some useful information in their books. Just ignore the stuff
that doesn't apply...snip...

Good advice for anything you read!

Off Topic Posting Has Finally Hit Its Inevitable Bottom. Don ßćiley General 8 October 1st 11 04:39 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum Cruising 22 June 3rd 04 02:56 AM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum ASA 3 May 14th 04 04:36 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM