Denis Marier

After having the engine rebuild, I was told to only use IDO (Industrial
Diesel Oil) SAE 30 or its exact equilvalent.
Esso also makes a SAE 30 lubricating oil for diesel engine. I sure that
you can get other brands it just that these are the only one I get locally.
I my area I can only get Castrol 10w40 for diesel engine. The other
question is when to you change your oil filter.
In the spring or the fall ( before launching or before haul out org ) ?
Oil filter are not that expensive. In my case I was able to get Fram's
exact equilvalent filter for my Yanmar.
"Gogarty" wrote in message
Silly argument. Oil is cheap. Engines are not. To err on the side of

excess
does no harm and may do some good.

Besides, when you change the oil in spring that you put in in the fall you
must first run the enine and bring it up to operating temperature to

reduce
the viscosity of the oil so you can get it out. This serves several

purposes.
The engine doesn't just sit there over the winter. It aspirates and water
condenses inside it. Because you have clean oil in there that water does

not
form bearing-eating acid. The additives in the clean oil neutralize the

acids.
Then running the engine with the fall oil flushes all operating parts. The
spring oil works fine over the summer because the engine is often at

operating
temperature and condensation is little problem.

And yes, I have indeed chnaged the oil and then immnediatley chnaged it

again.
Can't quite remember why but it certainly did no harm at small expense.

As for my car, it's a diesel too. It works very, very hard and I let my
mechanic look after it.

To repeat: Oil is cheap. Engines are not.

As for grade, Castrol Heavy Duty SAE 30. No multi-viscosity. That's for

the
car. Why? Car engine runs from 800 RPM to 4,000 RPM and back over and

over.
Boat engine, except when idling, runs a constant 2,100 RPM.

Jere Lull

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:05:31 -0400, Jeff said:

so it sits over the winter with clean oil. The result of
all this for me is one change in the spring after launch, an usually
one in the fall when I return from my last trip.

Let me get this straight. You put in that nice clean oil in the fall, and
then drain that nice clean oil and replace it in the spring? What am I
missing here?

Among the other things that were mentioned, it also serves as a bit of a
"flush". Not all the crud comes out on the first oil change.

I alter things a bit: I change the oil as I winterize the boat, then
after I've run the engine for a few hours in the spring, to get more
dirt out of the sump and suspended in the oil.

--
Jere Lull