Default Locked prop or not

Bein a physicist, I can sorta follow the various arguments on this but
bein an engineer (a physicist/engineer is a serious contradiction) I
know many of you are askin the wrong question.
In some cases, Yanmar for example, it has nothing to do withj drag and
a lot to do with lubricating the tranny. I saw in print, years ago,
that they actually reccomend putting it in reverse. I always forget to
do this and have never done it in years of sailing and my engine/tranny
is 20 yrs old.

Gogarty

In article ,
fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark says...

(Snip)

Based on the inputs on the subject, it is hard to know for
sure - isn't it?

Maybe we should call MythBusters?

Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark says...

(Snip)

Based on the inputs on the subject, it is hard to know for
sure - isn't it?

Maybe we should call MythBusters?

Why not simply try it. Go sailing and have your knotmeter working
(mine doesnt work) with prop locked, record speed, unlock it and go for
a minute and record speed. Do this maybe 10 times and average. Tell
us what happens. Theory and talk is great but reality makes the world
work.

Flemming Torp

skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

Gogarty wrote:
In article
,
fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark says...

(Snip)

Based on the inputs on the subject, it is hard to know
for
sure - isn't it?

Maybe we should call MythBusters?

Why not simply try it. Go sailing and have your knotmeter
working
(mine doesnt work) with prop locked, record speed, unlock
it and go for
a minute and record speed. Do this maybe 10 times and
average. Tell
us what happens. Theory and talk is great but reality
makes the world
work.

As said in another thread about this, we have tried it, but
without conclusive results. Many factors influence the speed
o a sailboat, and the instruments are not that accurate ...
but the thread gave other ideas for testing.

--
Flemming Torp