Tom R.

Default National Weather Service

I read in the New York Times this weekend that Sen. Rick Santorum (R PA) has
introduced a bill to limit the amount of information that the National
Weather Service, a taxpayer funded organization, may disseminate to the
public. Apparently, Sen. Santorum has accepted campaign contributions from
several private weather services located in Pennsylvania which have
complained to him that information disseminated by NWS is too much
competition for the pivate services and they want to restrict the free flow
of weather information. Duh? Is there something wrong with this picture?

Tom R.

Brian Whatcott

On a point of detail: if true, that motivation would not just be pork
( = supporting less than worthy projects because they benefit the
home state), but rather purchase of influence - which is indictable if
proved.

Brian Whatcott.

Tom R. wrote:
I read in the New York Times this weekend that Sen. Rick Santorum (R PA) has
introduced a bill to limit the amount of information that the National
Weather Service, a taxpayer funded organization, may disseminate to the
public. Apparently, Sen. Santorum has accepted campaign contributions from
several private weather services located in Pennsylvania which have
complained to him that information disseminated by NWS is too much
competition for the pivate services and they want to restrict the free flow
of weather information. Duh? Is there something wrong with this picture?

Tom R.

Evan Gatehouse

Tom R. wrote:

I read in the New York Times this weekend that Sen. Rick Santorum (R PA) has
introduced a bill to limit the amount of information that the National
Weather Service, a taxpayer funded organization, may disseminate to the
public. Apparently, Sen. Santorum has accepted campaign contributions from
several private weather services located in Pennsylvania which have
complained to him that information disseminated by NWS is too much
competition for the pivate services and they want to restrict the free flow
of weather information. Duh? Is there something wrong with this picture?

Tom R.

Google "Santorum" to find the out what it really means (for
those who don't read Dan Savage's column)

Evan Gatehouse

Brian Whatcott

Tom R. wrote:

I read in the New York Times this weekend that Sen. Rick Santorum (R PA) has
introduced a bill to limit the amount of information that the National
Weather Service, a taxpayer funded organization, may disseminate to the
public. Apparently, Sen. Santorum has accepted campaign contributions from
several private weather services located in Pennsylvania which have
complained to him that information disseminated by NWS is too much
competition for the pivate services and they want to restrict the free flow
of weather information. Duh? Is there something wrong with this picture?

Tom R.

Google "Santorum" to find the out what it really means (for
those who don't read Dan Savage's column)

Evan Gatehouse

I try to stay away from politics and politicians where possible, so I
regret I probably won't be following up on this worthy suggestion.
What does it really mean?

Brian W
krj

What it means, if it passes is that all info that the NWS now provides,
i.e. marine forecast, weatherfax, radar displays, ham skywarn, etc.
would probably become a "pay for use" from a private company. The NWS
could not provide these if a private company wants to provide them. The
NWS still provides the data that we pay them to collect with our taxes,
but will be provided "1) through a |set of data portals designed for
volume access by commercial providers |of products or services". Meaning
high speed data links like T1 or T3 to which the general public will not
have access. Excerpts of S 786 below. Write or call your senator now to
oppose this bill!
krj

Tom R. wrote:

[...]

Don W

Why don't you go to his website, and leave him a polite email asking him
to reconsider and withdraw the legislation? I did.

The only way to get politicians to respond to the public is for the public
to show that they are paying attention. Sadly most of the time they are not

Don W.

Tom R. wrote:
I read in the New York Times this weekend that Sen. Rick Santorum (R PA) has
introduced a bill to limit the amount of information that the National
Weather Service, a taxpayer funded organization, may disseminate to the
public. Apparently, Sen. Santorum has accepted campaign contributions from
several private weather services located in Pennsylvania which have
complained to him that information disseminated by NWS is too much
competition for the pivate services and they want to restrict the free flow
of weather information. Duh? Is there something wrong with this picture?

Tom R.

Larry W4CSC

krj wrote in
:

What it means, if it passes is that all info that the NWS now provides,
i.e. marine forecast, weatherfax, radar displays, ham skywarn, etc.
would probably become a "pay for use" from a private company. The NWS
could not provide these if a private company wants to provide them. The
NWS still provides the data that we pay them to collect with our taxes,
but will be provided "1) through a |set of data portals designed for
volume access by commercial providers |of products or services". Meaning
high speed data links like T1 or T3 to which the general public will not
have access. Excerpts of S 786 below. Write or call your senator now to
oppose this bill!
krj

I wonder if we simply file a Freedom Of Information Act request, required
by other laws, to get the data. I got data from several agencies who were
reluctant to send it successfully....