Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Caught Off Guard by a Squall - what to do?

I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

Kiss my legs please! Joe ASA 0 February 22nd 05 05:16 PM
( OT ) Bush in the National Guard: A primer Jim General 33 September 26th 04 04:13 PM
OT More on Bush's Guard Lies Harry Krause General 0 September 9th 04 03:54 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM