Flying Tadpole

I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

THis is capsize territory. Was there a reason why you couldn't
bear away for a while to give you time to think? (and eg
blanket part of the foresail with the main which opens other
options). I assume that the wind was a bullet of some sort
given it was totally unexpected, so it would pass quickly, and
that implies close quarters to land, but you don't say.

And if really desperate, you could let the sheets go. (which
do you want--a flogged-apart sail or a capsized vessel?)
--
Flying Tadpole

http://www.flyingtadpole.com

--