Default Do I need crew?

After my aborted cruise, I want to bring my boat back from Sarasota to
Shell Point in N. Florida (Just south of Tallahassee) for hurricane
season. It is 185 miles straight across the northern Gulf of Mexico
and I estimate this is about 36-48 hours sail. My only crewmember
currently is my 14 yr old son who isnt really qualified to do a watch.
I do not want to do the several days coast hopping route as I have done
that too many times and just want to get her home (a 28' S2). So, I am
wondering if I should venture to do it with just my son or if I really
need another crew member. Strange but I no longer know many qualified
sailors, most I know are beginners who would just get in their own way.
"Ragtime" is a 1981 8.5 M S2 with new standing rigging, running
rigging, sails etc, Epirb, etc so is probably well equipped. What do
Y'all think?

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On 12 May 2005 19:51:57 -0700, wrote:

After my aborted cruise, I want to bring my boat back from Sarasota to
Shell Point in N. Florida (Just south of Tallahassee) for hurricane
season. It is 185 miles straight across the northern Gulf of Mexico
and I estimate this is about 36-48 hours sail. My only crewmember
currently is my 14 yr old son who isnt really qualified to do a watch.
I do not want to do the several days coast hopping route as I have done
that too many times and just want to get her home (a 28' S2). So, I am
wondering if I should venture to do it with just my son or if I really
need another crew member. Strange but I no longer know many qualified
sailors, most I know are beginners who would just get in their own way.
"Ragtime" is a 1981 8.5 M S2 with new standing rigging, running
rigging, sails etc, Epirb, etc so is probably well equipped. What do
Y'all think?

I wouldn't care much about any of the equipment you listed. I would
ask about the autopilot. That's a long time time to handsteer,
especially shorthanded. I'd also want jacklines, tethers, and
harnesses rigged.

The rest depends on you. If you don't trust your crew, you need to be
sure you can do it alone if you have to. Just how long is your alert
time with a few catnaps no longer than 20 minutes? I personally
wouldn't hesitate, given a good weather window and sufficient reason
to do it.

I'd need a better reason to put myself through that on a coastal
cruise, though. The upside is indulging your case of "Get-home-itis".
The downside bears thinking about. Ducking into Clearwater for a
solid 8 hours sleep after an easy shakedown from Sarasota would be a
good compromise.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Frank

Why do you feel that your 14-year-old is unqualified? Maybe we have
different definitions of "qualified to stand watch" but I'd rely on my
12-year-old daughter under these circumstances. Maybe this is the
universe giving him an opportunity to show you he's more responsible
than you think? I know I tend to underestimate my kids 'cause I think
of them as having been newborns about 5 minutes ago. They're often
capable of so much more than I give them credit for.

I say, give him the opportunity to show his mettle. It'll be a great
bonding and growth experience for both of you!

Stephen Trapani

Frank wrote:

Why do you feel that your 14-year-old is unqualified? Maybe we have
different definitions of "qualified to stand watch" but I'd rely on my
12-year-old daughter under these circumstances. Maybe this is the
universe giving him an opportunity to show you he's more responsible
than you think? I know I tend to underestimate my kids 'cause I think
of them as having been newborns about 5 minutes ago. They're often
capable of so much more than I give them credit for.

I say, give him the opportunity to show his mettle. It'll be a great
bonding and growth experience for both of you!

When I was 14 I took watches at the helm at night in small craft warning
seas in the Molokai channel in my Dad's Blanchard 33.' One crew member
sleeping below, the other sleeping beside me in the cockpit.

Stephen

Don White

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Frank wrote:

Why do you feel that your 14-year-old is unqualified? Maybe we have
different definitions of "qualified to stand watch" but I'd rely on my
12-year-old daughter under these circumstances. Maybe this is the
universe giving him an opportunity to show you he's more responsible
than you think? I know I tend to underestimate my kids 'cause I think
of them as having been newborns about 5 minutes ago. They're often
capable of so much more than I give them credit for.

I say, give him the opportunity to show his mettle. It'll be a great
bonding and growth experience for both of you!

When I was 14 I took watches at the helm at night in small craft warning
seas in the Molokai channel in my Dad's Blanchard 33.' One crew member
sleeping below, the other sleeping beside me in the cockpit.

Stephen

I'd be a little more conservative in this area. Could he steer a
compass course? Would he know what to do if he saw another boat
approaching?
Probably depends on what hazards lay along your intended track.
JG

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why do you feel that your 14-year-old is unqualified? Maybe we have
different definitions of "qualified to stand watch" but I'd rely on my
12-year-old daughter under these circumstances. Maybe this is the
universe giving him an opportunity to show you he's more responsible
than you think? I know I tend to underestimate my kids 'cause I think
of them as having been newborns about 5 minutes ago. They're often
capable of so much more than I give them credit for.

I say, give him the opportunity to show his mettle. It'll be a great
bonding and growth experience for both of you!

What's wrong with sending him to a sailing class? That would give him an
opportunity to learn and build self-confidence. It would also give some
confidence in his abilities to his father.

John Cairns

wrote in message
oups.com...
After my aborted cruise, I want to bring my boat back from Sarasota to
Shell Point in N. Florida (Just south of Tallahassee) for hurricane
season. It is 185 miles straight across the northern Gulf of Mexico
and I estimate this is about 36-48 hours sail. My only crewmember
currently is my 14 yr old son who isnt really qualified to do a watch.
I do not want to do the several days coast hopping route as I have done
that too many times and just want to get her home (a 28' S2). So, I am
wondering if I should venture to do it with just my son or if I really
need another crew member. Strange but I no longer know many qualified
sailors, most I know are beginners who would just get in their own way.
"Ragtime" is a 1981 8.5 M S2 with new standing rigging, running
rigging, sails etc, Epirb, etc so is probably well equipped. What do
Y'all think?

Hey, you need crew, drop me a line. Can't contribute towards provisioning
but I like going offshore, even if it's only in the Gulf. Currently have
crewed 5000+ bluewater miles, all of it extended passages of a minimum 3
days, including an Atlantic crossing last year.

John Cairns

Rosalie B.

"JG" wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
roups.com...
Why do you feel that your 14-year-old is unqualified? Maybe we have
different definitions of "qualified to stand watch" but I'd rely on my
12-year-old daughter under these circumstances. Maybe this is the
universe giving him an opportunity to show you he's more responsible
than you think? I know I tend to underestimate my kids 'cause I think
of them as having been newborns about 5 minutes ago. They're often
capable of so much more than I give them credit for.

There are two parts to whether someone is qualified to stand watch

a) Are they physically capable of sailing the boat - i.e. do they know
how to sail?

b) Do they have the judgment and experience to do so?

It is easy enough to give a 14 year old the knowledge to sail the
boat. I can sail our boat by myself so I can take a watch for Bob.
There are some things I can't do very well - I'm not strong enough to
manage the main. But I can tack and trim the sails and steer a course

A person taking a watch should know what the course is, and whether
boats that are seen are on a collision course and what to do if they
are.

If you are sailing with just the 2 of you, the second issue can be
addressed by telling him to wake you if he has a question about the
course or the weather or another ship. In my case, if the wind picks
up and I need to furl the main, I have to wake Bob up. That's one of
the reasons we do not go offshore for long passages. In your case,
you might sleep in the cockpit next to your son.

I say, give him the opportunity to show his mettle. It'll be a great
bonding and growth experience for both of you!

What's wrong with sending him to a sailing class? That would give him an
opportunity to learn and build self-confidence. It would also give some
confidence in his abilities to his father.

grandma Rosalie
JG

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"JG" wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Actually, this is true even for experience, completely capable crew. If you
need help or are unsure of something, wake up the skipper. I've yet to
protest being awakened or had anyone protest if I woke them.