Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On 12 May 2005 19:51:57 -0700, wrote:

After my aborted cruise, I want to bring my boat back from Sarasota to
Shell Point in N. Florida (Just south of Tallahassee) for hurricane
season. It is 185 miles straight across the northern Gulf of Mexico
and I estimate this is about 36-48 hours sail. My only crewmember
currently is my 14 yr old son who isnt really qualified to do a watch.
I do not want to do the several days coast hopping route as I have done
that too many times and just want to get her home (a 28' S2). So, I am
wondering if I should venture to do it with just my son or if I really
need another crew member. Strange but I no longer know many qualified
sailors, most I know are beginners who would just get in their own way.
"Ragtime" is a 1981 8.5 M S2 with new standing rigging, running
rigging, sails etc, Epirb, etc so is probably well equipped. What do
Y'all think?

I wouldn't care much about any of the equipment you listed. I would
ask about the autopilot. That's a long time time to handsteer,
especially shorthanded. I'd also want jacklines, tethers, and
harnesses rigged.

The rest depends on you. If you don't trust your crew, you need to be
sure you can do it alone if you have to. Just how long is your alert
time with a few catnaps no longer than 20 minutes? I personally
wouldn't hesitate, given a good weather window and sufficient reason
to do it.

I'd need a better reason to put myself through that on a coastal
cruise, though. The upside is indulging your case of "Get-home-itis".
The downside bears thinking about. Ducking into Clearwater for a
solid 8 hours sleep after an easy shakedown from Sarasota would be a
good compromise.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/