Roberto

Default If ANYBODY wants to see JaxAshby HUMILIATED...

Here's a link I just found.

http://206.131.241.61/ubb/ultimatebb...c&f=1&t=008434

Jax is SUCH a anal orifice!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Talk about getting publicly humiliated!
Jeff

Roberto wrote:
Here's a link I just found.

http://206.131.241.61/ubb/ultimatebb...c&f=1&t=008434

Jax is SUCH a anal orifice!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Talk about getting publicly humiliated!

Jax does not care that he is publicly humiliated; it happens all the
time. However, in this case Jax knows what he's doing. I couldn't
find the beginnings of this thread, but it probably started when
someone made a claim such as "the catenary affect of an all chain rode
provides enough shock loading to hold a boat in all conditions." When
Jax sees the word "catenary" misused like this he pounces.

The problem is that the chain provides plenty of shock loading while
its still laying on the bottom, but once it is lifted up and assumes
the catenary shape, it provides none. In other words, chain by itself
provides comfort in lighter air, but gets dangerous in heavy air. And
while the word "catenary" properly describes the shape of the chain,
it has no magical properties, and in fact signals the point where the
chain rode has lost its effectiveness in this regard.

The solution, of course, is a snubber, and Jax does make the error of
denying the stretchiness of nylon, but to his credit, many people use
a too short, too thick snubber to be properly effective.

The engineer from S/V HyLyte makes a few blunders in his argument that
opens the door for Jaxie: For instance, claiming the the boat motion
in waves is a "conservative 2 feet per second" doesn't seem right at
all. In fact, I would guess that boats bobbing in a nasty little
harbor chop move considerably faster than that. If you have any
doubt, try moving your hand in front of you 2 feet per second - its
hard moving it that slowly. Although not stated, the situation under
consideration is a boat fully exposed to a storm, such as the Cabo
disaster of 20 years ago. The engineer makes arguments based on
simple waves, and doesn't consider breaking waves at all.

Another mistake is grossly underestimating the horizontal loading due
to the wind. He says his First 42 has a load of 135 pounds in 20
knots; the ABYC says a 40 footer has a load 300 pounds in 15 knots and
up to 2400 pounds in 60 knots. And this is just the beginning - if
the boats gets a bit sideways to the wind, the load goes way up. The
issue here is how much wind does it take to stretch the chain out
fully. By underestimating the loading, the argument that 150 feet of
chain will need 56 knots of wind to lift it off the bottom becomes
bogus. It will, in fact, be stretched out in winds much lighter,
implying that snubbers are needed whenever a blow is expected.

So be a little careful arguing with Jaxie - although he's completely
wrong most of the time, there are a few arguments where he's learned a
bit. This is one that he takes from one group to another, like an old
bar trick.

Glenn Ashmore

"Blackbeard" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, "Glenn Ashmore" wrote:
Actually they both got it wrong. The formula for tension on a line is:

I just don't care for personal attacks. Right or wrong. Sorry, just didn't
like the topic of the post. The results of the question don't interest me.
I just think we are above the level of personal attack posts. It's OK to
disagree in a thread though, as long as it has to do with the topic of
rec.boats.cruising.

And I don't particularly care for criticism by newbies/lurkers using made up
names who have no clew what the situation is with Jax. When it comes to
personal attacks, wildly erroneous statements and thread drift Jax is second
only to a certain mailman from Florida. He deserves what he gets.

Furthermore, if you do not feel that a clear understanding of the loads on
anchor rodes, lifelines and standing rigging don't have anything to do with
cruising you are in the wrong news group.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

rhys

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:47:14 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

And I don't particularly care for criticism by newbies/lurkers using made up
names who have no clew what the situation is with Jax. When it comes to
personal attacks, wildly erroneous statements and thread drift Jax is second
only to a certain mailman from Florida. He deserves what he gets.

Furthermore, if you do not feel that a clear understanding of the loads on
anchor rodes, lifelines and standing rigging don't have anything to do with
cruising you are in the wrong news group.

I participate in forums where the average age is older than me, like
this one. I also participate in forums entirely unrelated to sailing
with people in their very early twenties. So the Internet slang I will
attribute to you now, Glenn, may be unfamiliar to you, but trust me on
this, you just "pwned" that "n00b". Ask your kids.G

Older sailors might put it: 4 out of 4 real sailors find heavy onshore
swells like Neal and JAX a real pain in the snubber.

R.

Glenn Ashmore

I'm an empty nester so I had to look it up on Google. :-)

Maybe I should have been a little easier on him but I had just come in from
totally screwing up a very complex glass layup and was not in a good mood.

About JAXAshby James Cruising 31 December 21st 04 03:57 AM
Clive Cussler novel. N.L. Eckert General 45 December 7th 04 08:30 PM
jaxashby caught in his own lie LaBomba182 General 36 March 22nd 04 12:27 PM
jaxashby caught in his own lie LaBomba182 Cruising 0 March 16th 04 04:53 PM
jaxashby caught in his own lie LaBomba182 Cruising 0 March 16th 04 02:22 PM