bushman

Default Best Electric Head????

Need to replace the head in my new boat. Practical Sailor has not done a
review that I can find. So I will let this group of practical sailors
review.
1. Wilcox Crittenden Santa Cruz Electric Head
2. Wilcox Crittenden Newport Electric Head
3. Raritan Sea Era Macerating Electric Toilet
4. Jabsco Electric Toilet
Thank you for your opinion. - Allen

Peggie Hall

bushman wrote:
Need to replace the head in my new boat. Practical Sailor has not done a
review that I can find. So I will let this group of practical sailors
review.
1. Wilcox Crittenden Santa Cruz Electric Head
2. Wilcox Crittenden Newport Electric Head
3. Raritan Sea Era Macerating Electric Toilet
4. Jabsco Electric Toilet
Thank you for your opinion. - Allen

I've never heard of the Wilcox Santa Cruz, nor is their any mention of
it on the website...and Google didn't turn it up either.

The Raritan SeaEra has proven to be most durable trouble-free toilet of
rest of the bunch on your list. However, depending on the size of your
boat, space in the head, your budget and other factors, there are other
macerating electric toilets worth considering. If you'll give me a bit
more information about the boat and who'll typically be aboard (how many
people, adults or children/landlubber guests, holding tank size (some
toilets use less flush water than others) and anything else that's
important to you, I'll point you toward them.

--
Peggie
----------

Lew Hodgett

Subject

Can you say Lavac?

Lew
bushman

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...5326&y=21&x=18
Yes I did not give much info so here are some details.
1980 Endeavour 37' Sloop plan B.
Head is forward on the port side.
Toilet an older Raritan manual against the hull, pump towards the bow.
27 Gallon holding tank with Y-valves configured for all the flow options and
a discharge pump.
2 adults liveaboard and the rare guests. Schedule should allow pump out or
discharge every other week.
Space is a little tight and the layout should stay the same, electricity is
plentiful, I don't mind paying for a reliable piece of equipment. I have had
all the experience I want with manual pumps. My parents have been living
aboard with an electric for years trouble free.
Thank you so much for your help.
I will be buying your book (holding tank is under our v-berth).
Thanks again - Allen

Peggie Hall

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Can you say Lavac?

Great choice for a manual toilet, but not the best choice for an
electric toilet.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

Peggie Hall

bushman wrote:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...uctDisplay?ke-
yword=5388830&resultCt=1&storeId=10001&catalogId=1 0001&productId=1353-
26&y=21&x=18 Yes I did not give much info so here are some details.
1980 Endeavour 37' Sloop plan B. Head is forward on the port side.
Toilet an older Raritan manual against the hull, pump towards the
bow. 27 Gallon holding tank with Y-valves configured for all the flow
options and a discharge pump. 2 adults liveaboard and the rare
guests. Schedule should allow pump out or discharge every other week.
Space is a little tight and the layout should stay the same,
electricity is plentiful, I don't mind paying for a reliable piece of
equipment.

Okaayyy...in that case, I'd go with the SeaEra--the version designed to
flush using pressurized fresh water...for several reasons: 1. it uses
about 1/3 less flush water...2. it draws only 10a vs. 16 for the raw
water version...3. eliminates sea water intake odors...and 4. MUCH
quieter--in fact, quieter than many household toilets.

You can download all the specs and the complete manual for it from the
Raritan website at
http://www.raritaneng.com/products/t...c/sea_era.html
These folks have the best price I've found:
http://www.boatfix.com/elec/rarseaera.asp

Unless you're in one of the few parts of the country that are "no
discharge," you might want to take a look at the Lectra/San (CG
certified Type I MSD that treats waste and discharges it overboard
legally, and without harm to the environment) while you're on the
Raritan site:
http://www.raritaneng.com/products/w...lectrasan.html

Thank you so much for your help.

I will be buying your book...

Thank you!

... (holding tank is under our v-berth).

Best place for it.

Feel free to give me another shout if you still have questions.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

Jeff

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Can you say Lavac?

Lew

I have an electric Lavac and would not recommend it. The electric
pump is not quite strong enough to always clear the waste. We're
rather careful about what goes in, but at least once a season
(sometimes once a week), I have to open up the pump to clear it. We
started with a manual, which was OK until we moved on board and had to
use it full time - the adults on board developed "lavac elbow" and the
5 year old couldn't begin to work it.

On the plus side, I can pull the pump out and completely strip it
down, clean and replace it in about 30 minutes now. If needed I can
put in the manual pump even quicker. The head itself has never
clogged and with three onboard the holding tank fill at about 4
gallons a day. Although some point to the seal system as a weakness,
it isn't really needed to empty the bowl, only to draw in water.

One more thing - although a Lavac seems like simplicity itself,
explaining it to guests always draws the "maybe I'll wait until we get
back to the marina" look.
Jennifer Flowers

"bushman" wrote in message ...
Need to replace the head in my new boat. Practical Sailor has not done a
review that I can find. So I will let this group of practical sailors
review.
1. Wilcox Crittenden Santa Cruz Electric Head
2. Wilcox Crittenden Newport Electric Head
3. Raritan Sea Era Macerating Electric Toilet
4. Jabsco Electric Toilet
Thank you for your opinion. - Allen

The best electric head i ever had was when Peggie inserted a fully-charged
i-Egg in2 her mouth prior 2 the act.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr... UY-GFI-0-MWS

Jennifer luv those vibes

Jeff

bushman wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think a 27 gallon holding tank will
handle two weeks output for two people. And I don't think you want to
fill it to capacity all the time, especially if its under your bunk.

Capt. Neal®

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
bushman wrote:
[...]

My five-gallon cedar bucket has held my total output for the past fifteen
years. It's just a matter of how often it's emptied . . . 27-gallons sounds
excessive to me.

CN

Evinrude Head Gasket Salt Deposits cnicoll General 3 August 31st 04 03:22 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
'Lectric boats Gould 0738 General 1 July 28th 04 01:55 PM
replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM